dog packs

Posted by: rockraven

dog packs - 06/07/09 01:09 PM

Does anyone have advice for me.
I was leaning toward the "wolfpacks" on account I met some dude using one (on his dog) and he said they were better cuz they sit on over the front shoulders more were the weight would be transfered to there front wheel drive paws, and don't slouch there backs... I'm starting to see granite gear makes some and mountainsmith.........
I couldn't seem to see anything in the classified but it took me 20 min's to find the search button after I started looking for it.. kept getting signed out.. can't seem to post to classifieds still tho.

sorry noob 1st post,,,

oh yeah hello everybody,, I'm planning on hiking the 2n'd half of the AT or doing a chunk of the PC,which I KNow vertually nothing about. Don't even know how to spell virtually.

do I have to be here a while,,, can't seem to find post to classified button?
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: dog packs - 06/07/09 03:56 PM

My favorite dog pack is the RuffWear Palisades. It has a separate harness, making it easy to remove the pack bags at rest stops and allowing the use of just the harness in difficult places. It is a remarkably stable pack, too.

Both the RuffWear pack and the Kelty pack I used previously do put most of the weight on the front shoulders. Of course the fit depends on the individual dog, just as backpack fit depends on the individual human. I suspect that what you're hearing about Wolf packs may be advertising hype.

In my avatar Hysson is wearing his old Kelty pack. Here's a picture of him in the Wind Rivers last summer modeling his RuffWear Palisades pack (older model):

If you're referring to the For Sale (buy/sell) section, forum policies (which I hope you've read) state that you need 3 months' membership or 10 approved posts or to make a donation before you can post to that section. I believe that this rule is to keep people from joining only to post items for sale. I suspect also that there is a desire to know people better before doing business with them. In the meantime, welcome to the forum!
Posted by: ndsol

Re: dog packs - 06/11/09 10:23 AM

There was a discussion titled "Dog Pack" started on 20 April 2009 in this General Discussion subforum that you might want to review.
Posted by: rockraven

Re: dog packs - 06/11/09 02:06 PM

Thanks ndsol,

Here it is ....

http://www.backpacking.net/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=114716&Searchpage=1&Main=11315&Words=%22dog+pack&Search=true#Post114716
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: dog packs - 06/11/09 04:11 PM

My post didn't look like that after I first posted it (last paragraph is now stuck up alongside the picture)! Evidently it's now too late to edit it. The last paragraph has nothing to do with the picture. Sorry!