exos 58 users

Posted by: arolfsen

exos 58 users - 06/06/09 02:11 PM

So i'm sitting here trying to plan out how i want to pack my exos 58.

I was wondering if i would be out of line to ask other exos users to post pictures of their packs fully loaded.
Posted by: Glenn

Re: exos 58 users - 06/06/09 05:03 PM

It's not out of line, but (given my computer illiteracy) you're out of luck in my case.

My Exos 58 forms a nicely rectangular shape when fully packed with the gear I'd carry for a four-night cold weather trip. My summer load, despite tightening the various straps, tends to assume a rucksack (pearish) shape. So, I just ordered an Exos 46 to use for smaller loads.

In the 56, I use the two outside vertical pockets to hold my tent and poles; this means the tent can be unpacked (and repacked) without having to open my main pack in the rain. My water bottle and water filter go in the side pockets; map, snacks, and small first aid kit go in the lid pocket (which can be removed; I've never done it.) That only leaves kitchen, rain gear, food, spare clothes (a pair of socks in summer; down jacket and down pants, and long johns if I'm not wearing them, in winter), sleeping bag, and sleeping pad to store inside. In summer, I stuff my bag into the pack very loosely, to fill up the lower pack and hold heavier items a little higher; they usually end up compressing the bag and gradually working their way to the bottom, creating the rucksack effect.

Hope this helps a little.
Posted by: arolfsen

Re: exos 58 users - 06/06/09 05:38 PM

that's along the lines that i was thinking. still wouldn't mind seeing some people's pictures.

anyone have a good way of securing all the extra strap webbing?
Posted by: kbennett

Re: exos 58 users - 06/08/09 02:09 PM

Originally Posted By arolfsen

anyone have a good way of securing all the extra strap webbing?

I have owned many packs that had too much webbing. The best way to secure it requires sharp scissors and a lighter to melt the edge.

Of course, it helps to be *certain* that you won't need that webbing in the future <grin>.
Posted by: Glenn

Re: exos 58 users - 06/08/09 04:19 PM

I tend to fold it over on itself, then tuck the little bundle under the strap where it tightly contacts the pack. (Or, if there's an opening I can stuff it into, like the strap crossing over the top access to the main pack, I simply stuff it into that.)

After I've had sufficient experience with a pack, I'll cut the straps to the longest length I'll need, plus one inch - that's usually the second year I use the pack, so I've had a chance to really know what my bulkiest load is.