Backpacking alone?

Posted by: robbo2

Backpacking alone? - 01/14/09 03:53 PM

Hi folks,
new member here, i am thinking about going backpacking later on in the year. As all my mates r married or have no money i was thinking of setting off alone. I was just wondering if anyone thinks its worth going alone. I know i will meet other travellers along the way but am jus a bit worried incase boredom sets in when im halway around the world.
Any advice from others who have set of alone would be great, this is something i am looking forward to and dont want to waste this opportunity waiting around for others.
Thanks
Posted by: hoz

Re: Backpacking alone? - 01/14/09 03:58 PM

Just do it, do it now. Bring a book. You will regret a trip not taken, you'll not regret going alone.
Posted by: lightatrack

Re: Backpacking alone? - 01/14/09 04:22 PM

Robbo-
backpacking alone has been a huge thrill for me. I've been on trips with others, but prefer going it alone now. You will not be bored, but will become lost in the sheer beauty and simplicity of it all. While you walk, cook, get water, watch birds, whatever- you just become absorbed in activities that would seem otherwise mundane, and its easy to keep busy when on the move. Enjoy!
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Backpacking alone? - 01/14/09 05:57 PM

Do it all the time because it's really hard to coordinate with partners.

Leave a VERY SPECIFIC itinerary with someone back home and stick to it. Make sure they know to contact authorities after an agreed-to date and time. Register with the Forest or Park Service, if available. Make sure you're technically proficient before tackling tricky off-trail navigation. Keep within your comfort level and don't be hesitant about bugging out early if the weather or other conditions take a turn for the worse.

With time comes confidence and competence, and you'll really enjoy the time by yourself, away from the trappings of home.
Posted by: intrek38

Re: Backpacking alone? - 01/15/09 03:31 AM

There's a good post on going solo in the "Lite Philosophies & Practices".
I tried it last year for the first time for a few days and really liked it. Kinda nice not waiting up for anyone or anyone waiting up for me. Hoping to do it again this year on the JMT. I think my main concern was about the people that were worried about me.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Backpacking alone? - 01/15/09 09:44 AM

Quote:
I know i will meet other travellers along the way but am jus a bit worried incase boredom sets in when im halway around the world.

Are you referring to "backpacking" as budget travel or (the American meaning) as wilderness trekking? This site is primarily devoted to the latter activity.

If you are referring to "backpacking" as budget travel, a lot of us here have traveled, but you will probably get more information on a site devoted to it such as Lonely Planet.

That being said, most of my overseas travel has been alone, and I enjoyed it a lot more. I found it particularly frustrating when I did travel with friends and family in countries where I knew the language and had to spend most of my time translating! You will meet plenty of friendly folks at hostels and such places; often you may get together with some of them for local excursions. So it's not as though you're alone all the time!

If you do contemplate wilderness trekking, see the above posts!
Posted by: Pika

Re: Backpacking alone? - 01/15/09 10:18 AM

I suspect that you are referring to backpacking as a low-budget way of traveling the world. Here, backpacking is trail hiking and wilderness exploration.

My son backpacked in Europe the summer after he graduated from high school. His parents were not quite ready to see their 18-year-old do this but he had planned it for over a year. Got to let go sometime, right?

While he went alone, he seldom traveled alone. He met and traveled with young people from Norway, Australia, Canada and Chile. He was fluent in Spanish which helped a little.

He spent three months touring the continent and living out of his pack in hostels and cheap hotels. Other than a case of bedbugs in Greece, the trip was memorable; I guess the bedbugs were also memorable if put in perspective.

What was really interesting was that people he met in Europe visited my wife and me when they were backpacking North America in later years. We hosted a lot of lively young people who visited us from many parts of the world.

I really miss those days!
Posted by: hoz

Re: Backpacking alone? - 01/15/09 12:04 PM

Check out Andy the Hobotraveler, Andy has been
"backpacking" the world continuously for the past ten years!

Last known location, Peru,

http://www.hobotraveler.com/blogger.html
Posted by: gregpphoto

Re: Backpacking alone? - 01/15/09 10:52 PM

Going solo is the best. I prefer hiking alone, especially in new terrain. Almost every memorable hike I've been on has been just me and the camera. It's invigorating to see new things when no other human is within sight, and to know that you alone are responsible for your safety. People will think you're a little nutty but that's because they've never done it. Enjoy yourself and be alert, which shouldn't be a problem cuz you'll probably be overalert!
Posted by: Lupine

Re: Backpacking alone? - 01/27/09 02:46 AM

I have to admit, I prefer company...as long as that company is reasonably trail-competent and somewhat independent. Why? Well, sometimes it sucks to see really cool stuff alone.

Not saying this to stop you! By all means, go for it. Especially if trying to coordinate schedules with a buddy means risking the entire trip!

Journaling is helpful sometimes...helps me "share" those moments in another way. I have a friend who recommends a small digital voice recorder as an alternative to paper. Write (or speak) as if writing/speaking to those you miss--that kind of helps you feel like they're with you.

Same with photography.

For a lot of us, especially in this era of connectivity, that solo time is tough to settle into at first, but once we're used to it, it's delightful...and healthy.

Posted by: Geo

Re: Backpacking alone? - 02/07/09 05:45 PM

Hello Robbo2,
Not too clear about the type of backpacking you're meaning, and from my angle an extended solo wander around urban areas will give a different answer to an extended wander around a wilderness area.
For an urbanised trip I may well cast off alone, but think I'd prefer a compatible companion for part of the time, particularly if you do not know the language. It's nice to have someone to discuss things with and depending on locations of course, it could also be handy to have a companion - there are spots in most cities where the inhabitants make grizzlies look like pussycats! wink
However, the main reason even though it's a bit of an anomaly, is that I always feel far lonelier wandering around alone in a crowded city than I ever feel when completely remote from my species in the wilderness. But if it's a 'backcountry' trip you have in mind, my preference is going solo. Here's why..

1. You can move at your own pace.
2. You always get the best spot for your tent - and can
often stop in excellent locations where there is only a suitable
tent site for one.
3. You see much more wildlife when alone.
4. More satisfaction out of being as self reliant as possible.
5. Nice to be able to let your thoughts wander where they
will without having to react to anyone.
5. Being completely alone for extended periods makes me
appreciate friends and folk when a trip is over.

Maybe the answer for either scenario is to consider starting off solo - you can likely team up with someone at a later date if you wish but if you commit yourself with someone from the start you may be unfortunate to find you are not compatible or that you'd just rather have some solo time out there.