Bass Pro Shop trekking poles?

Posted by: oldneez

Bass Pro Shop trekking poles? - 12/06/08 04:43 AM

Was in my local Bass Pro last night and saw these. They seemed sturdy enough, locked down tight and could support my 230 pounds leaning against them without them collapsing. For $30 a pair, it seemed like a good deal. Has anyone here tried them? Thanks.

Re: Bass Pro Shop trekking poles? - 12/07/08 07:09 PM

Well, I also saw a pair of Eddie Bauer branded poles at Target today. Again, $30 a pair. I guess these inexpensive ones will work OK. I might be worth a $30 gamble. Still interested in anyone else's thoughts on this..
Posted by: chaz

Re: Bass Pro Shop trekking poles? - 12/08/08 04:04 PM

I've looked at inexpensive hiking poles and considered them at one time. I use a hand carved wooden staff that I have attached a wrist strap using 1" nylon. For the handle I wrapped xtra chord and guy line that I can use if needed. The staff can also double as a pole if I use my rainfly for a tent. In the top is a little directional compass. I've heard of people breaking hiking poles and I'm not into dealing with stuff, so I opted for a stick. It has heft and I can even burn it if needed. But if you have your heart set on poles, give em a spin. If you don't like them you can return them.
Posted by: Heber

Re: Bass Pro Shop trekking poles? - 12/08/08 04:24 PM

I own some cheap pole (Swiss Gear from Walmart) and in general I think they work fine. I bought a second pair for my daughter and they broke but it was while adjusting them, not using them. The strength and weight of cheap poles seems to be fine. But the adjustment mechanism is where the manufacturers seem to try to save money. Mine have lasted me for about a year with no problem but that's probably because I don't adjust them much. I put them to the length I like and leave them that way. I've also heard the carbide tips aren't as durable in the cheap poles. But that is also not a big deal for me because it's so cheap to replace the poles and I don't use the carbide tips all that often.

I know that Leki's and Black Diamond poles are better but the price/quality trade-off in hiking poles is pretty extreme. The difference between cheap poles and good poles is a factor of 4 in price at least. I can't see that. Now if the cheap poles gave any indication that they might fail when I put stress on them while hiking (so it became a safety issue) then I wouldn't use them. But so far that doesn't seem to be an issue.

Re: Bass Pro Shop trekking poles? - 12/08/08 07:36 PM

Thanks. I looked at some Black Diamond ones that really seemed nice, but I'm with you. I can't justify the price if the $30 dollar ones will work.
Posted by: intrek38

Re: Bass Pro Shop trekking poles? - 12/09/08 12:04 AM

My kids got me a $30 pair of Eddie Bauer poles at Target as a b-day gift earlier this year to try out. I never tried using poles before and not wanting to disapoint them, I gave them a try. Took a little getting used to but what a difference they made on my trip over Mono Pass to 4th recess. With the exception of the compass flopping around on one pole and the light that I didn't use on the other, the poles themselves held up well. I will probably invest in a better pair eventually but I'm glad I started with this pair.
Posted by: BarryP

Re: Bass Pro Shop trekking poles? - 12/09/08 11:25 AM

Once you try 2.5oz strap-less poles you’ll never go back. It’s hard to look at the heavier ones even though they’re cheaper.
2.5oz is much easier on the wrist and forearms. Plus your hands will never swell again while hiking.

They’re rather expensive. The cheapest ones I’ve seen are in the Make Your Own Gear section by trailrunner.

-Barry