Backcountry Skiers Killed in Montana Avalanche

Posted by: Paddy_Crow

Backcountry Skiers Killed in Montana Avalanche - 01/14/08 07:39 AM

CNN Story
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: Backcountry Skiers Killed in Montana Avalanche - 01/14/08 12:28 PM

Paddy,

This is going to be one of the deadliest winters yet, what with all that early, heavy snow. Even I-70 west of Denver was closed New Year's day B/C of multiple avalanche dangers.

With all the "standard" avy gear (beacons, probes, shovels, Avalungs and snow test kits) I still think inflatable avy bags like the SnowPulse will become THE greatest life-saving items yet.

And western snowmobile dealers and magazines must step up and begin to be responsible by making customers aware of the risks, gear and courses that are absolutly necessary for them. No more irresponsibility. Don't they know it kills customers?

Eric
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Backcountry Skiers Killed in Montana Avalanche - 01/14/08 07:23 PM

Some of the snowmobilers I hung out with, hit anything out there. In conditions we call, go anywhere snow, would get the bravest into trouble sometimes because you could climb anything with those new machines, then you hit a spot where you can't turn out, then you get into trouble. Lose one now and then. In the part of the Sierra close to where I live, nothing too long and steep like CO or the ski resorts in CA.