Winter Hot Tent Camping Guide

Posted by: dylansdad77

Winter Hot Tent Camping Guide - 09/13/23 09:24 PM

Hi all - I am curious if anyone knows of a guide service or outfitter that offers hot tent winter camping specifically including the tent, stove and associated gear. Looking to get some winter camping experience for our local Boy Scout Troop without having to invest in our own equipment. THANKS!
Posted by: BZH

Re: Winter Hot Tent Camping Guide - 09/14/23 02:56 PM

That seems like a pretty niche market. I've never heard of an outfitter offering that kind of service. I will say, I winter backpacked with my father when I was in high school on the cheap. We used a tarp for a shelter and built a fire in front of it. We doubled up sleeping bags to stay warm at night. The only real winter camping specific piece of equipment we used was snowshoes.
Posted by: dylansdad77

Re: Winter Hot Tent Camping Guide - 09/15/23 07:51 AM

I remember using a WWII era tent that was probably 15' x 40' with 2 jack pipes for pot belly stoves and camping in a foot of snow when I was Boy Scouts (many moons ago). Now as an Asst. Scoutmaster, I would love an opportunity to offer that same experience to the scouts in our troop.

It's one of the more memorable camping experiences I've ever had. But yes, niche market. I have no idea where we got that tent from back then, I am sure it was rented or borrowed because we never used it again.

Figured if anyone might have a connection for this type of service, it would be through these forums. Thanks!
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Winter Hot Tent Camping Guide - 09/15/23 05:47 PM

That almost sounds like a hunting thing - you might try contacting hunting guides/outfitters in upstate New York or in Pennsylvania.

My Brother-in-Law grew up hunting in western PA; his family had a "camp" there (think several families going together and building several cabins and a central mess hall.) He might know of someone that could help you; I'll let you know if I come up with anything.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Winter Hot Tent Camping Guide - 09/15/23 11:51 PM

Heard back from my brother-in-law. He didn't know of anyone, and didn't have any experience himself, except for the two years he spent in Fairbanks, Alaska as provost martial (marshal?) of the Arctic Light division. They didn't use hot tents, though (something about heat signatures and smart weapons.)

He said the Army might be able to help your kids, but the schools would probably have a problem with the two-year commitment... smile

Sorry I couldn't be of more help.
Posted by: GrumpyGord

Re: Winter Hot Tent Camping Guide - 09/16/23 06:19 AM

I did a trip like that about 20 years ago with "Outward Bound" in the Boundary waters in Minnesota. It was for over 50 adults to determine next steps in your life. We used tarps with a wood stove and used dog teams. I do remember that it got down to -23° one night. I think that Outward Bound has chapters in several states. It may be worth looking into that.

https://www.outwardbound.net/