Tent Recommendation for Australian Alps

Posted by: t21wolves

Tent Recommendation for Australian Alps - 10/26/17 09:01 PM

I'm not extremely experienced, so I'm hoping some of you might be able to help me with a recommendation on a tent. My primary use will be for a 5-day winter trek in the Australian Alps, but I want something flexible as well. Here are some of my considerations:

-Primarily for a 5-day snow shoe trek (no mountaineering)
-That is about as extreme a trip as I do (no month long trips, etc.)
-Room for 2 adults (me & my wife)
-While weight is important, this is the longest trip I'll probably do, so it's not as important as comfort, space and durability
-Room to sit upright (I'm 6 feet tall)
-Something I can use in all temperatures (I'd rather add an appropriate bivy/liner/sleep mat/sleeping bag/etc. than get a tent that is unsuitable for summer heat as well)
-Gear can be in the tent (if there's room) or just a vestibule
-A tent that can use trekking poles is a plus, but not a requirement
-Weight is important, but like I mentioned before, not a top concern. I'd rather get the other features met and have an extra pound or two to carry.
Posted by: JustWalking

Re: Tent Recommendation for Australian Alps - 10/27/17 12:53 AM

Tarptent Scarp 2 would meet most of your requirements - you can get both a solid(ish) inner and a mesh inner.

Tarptent StratoSpire 2 could also work

Much more expensive and heavier, but some of the Hillerberg shelters could work as well.

Re: Tent Recommendation for Australian Alps - 10/27/17 08:21 AM

Thanks for your recommendations - I'm heading to the shop and will look at those in particular.

Re: Tent Recommendation for Australian Alps - 10/28/17 07:29 PM

So I think I have narrowed it down, but any thoughts would be appreciated.

1. One Earth Goondie 2 - I really like the stable construction/pole design, thick floor (no footprint necessary), and ability to get the mesh with thicker fly meaning more suitable for year round and this trip's possible snow.

2. Marmot Tungsten 2 - at about half the price, this is tempting; probably not quite as solid, but has rave reviews everywhere I look and allows more money for other gear needed. It's a bit heavier plus would need a footprint and is a bit bulkier, though.

Any thoughts on these two tents?