Winter Hikes in New England

Posted by: bclapper3

Winter Hikes in New England - 03/23/12 02:10 PM

My son's boyscout troop takes an overnight hike every winter in the White Mountains in NH. We have stayed either in the huts at Tuckermans Ravine or the Randolph Mountain Club's Log Cabin. We generally get about a dozen boys and adult leaders. We are looking for new ideas as that most of the older boys have done both trips twice now. Anybody have suggestions on an overnight hike that would have a shelter(s) that would accommodate a group our size?
Posted by: TomD

Re: Winter Hikes in New England - 03/23/12 05:55 PM

I would look at Views from the Top which is a NE website. There are forums for specific areas as well as general backpacking and hiking.
www.viewsfromthetop.com

As far as I know, guests can view all the posts, but you must be a member to post a comment.

Rules about joining the site-
http://www.vftt.org/forums/faq.php
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Winter Hikes in New England - 03/23/12 07:36 PM

There's also a blogger from New England who does a lot of winter backpacking and mountaineering in New Hampshire and also is an advisor to his area Scouting Council. His blog is here: Sectionhiker.com
Posted by: sandia

Re: Winter Hikes in New England - 06/12/12 10:00 PM

Your son's boyscout troop should split up.

I'd be very annoyed and disappointed to run into 12 boys and adult leaders. I assume that is 14 people or whatever the number is.

Far too large a group. Half that is still too large.
Posted by: Gershon

Re: Winter Hikes in New England - 08/17/12 11:01 PM

Originally Posted By sandia
Your son's boyscout troop should split up.

I'd be very annoyed and disappointed to run into 12 boys and adult leaders. I assume that is 14 people or whatever the number is.

Far too large a group. Half that is still too large.

It has been 18 years since I've seen Boy Scouts hiking in Colorado. Maybe they go stealth without uniforms now. I'd be thrilled to see some scouts on the trail. I did run across a camp with a note in the fire pit that a Girl Scout group camped there. The area was spotless, they left a nice pile of firewood, and built a fire in the firepit that was just waiting for a match to light. I was pretty impressed.