another letter from Russia

Posted by: Jimshaw

another letter from Russia - 01/22/10 04:26 PM

Remeber our memeber Polarpark from Komi republic of Russia. She writes me again and sends a photo.

Hello Jim.
I'm planning to adjoin "winter camping" forum later.
Our winter this year is colder than usual more than 16 degrees. Sergei went to the mountain in December by snowmobile and couldn't return thanks to 53 degrees frost. He wanted to spend 5 dayes, really he was there 13 dayes. All this time he slept near warm stove into the tent and regreted about our dog, leaved at home, no one
warmed his another side. On birth of Christ holiday Sergei had prohibition Naroda (the highest top of Ural mountain) tour. Now we have pictures of polar night.
I didn't understand what is "Christmas tree ornament"?
(I told her I will send her some homemade Christmas tree ornaments. I am hoping to trade for dog fur socks smile )
Posted by: kevonionia

Re: another letter from Russia - 01/25/10 03:27 AM

Jim:

You got to keep posting this correspondence from your Russian penpal because it is very interesting and enjoyable. What do you think that is she's packing or slinging over her shoulder? Some type of Soviet rifle? I doubt if I'd do the hiking she does without it. Yet another reason I love this forum.
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: another letter from Russia - 01/25/10 08:09 PM

That's her husband Sergei on Christmas day. I'd bet its a Soviet military rifle that's been sporterized. He WAS hunting afterall. I think up there they don't just go out to get out of town. eek

I asked Natalia to tell us about her clothes and gear, lets hope she writes. I know she wears clothes similar to the native reindeer peoples outfits and makes their socks from dog fur and wears reindeer boots.
Jim
Posted by: Kent W

Re: another letter from Russia - 01/26/10 08:46 PM

Very interesting. I hope there will be more to post as well. Anytime we continue learning is a plus!
Posted by: Inpolar

Re: another letter from Russia - 02/12/10 03:01 AM

making socks from dog or sheep fur is village tradition presented komi and nenetsky people. Reindeer boots are the warmest foot wear I know. (Reindeers fur saves 70 % of warm). But we don’t use reindeers boots in ski-tour, impossible dry wet boots till night if you worn it on wet snow.

Posted by: Inpolar

Re: another letter from Russia - 02/12/10 03:01 AM

Sergei hiking with rifle because he hoped to shoot reindeer or wolf. I’ll try to translate his diary from this tour (why he needs take rifle) .