First trip this weekend, wish me luck.

Posted by: bmwrider

First trip this weekend, wish me luck. - 01/11/10 08:28 PM

I'm a backpacker and winter camper, this is the first time I have combined them, I have tested the gear in the backyard already this winter and now its time to do an over night trip this weekend, I'm in a club and have others going along there will be I think about 24 of us (the club has over 450 members)so it should be a good time and a chance to work out all the bugs for the 3 day trip farther away next month, tarp first night quinzee building the next day and hike back the flowing day. I will tell you all about it and post pics, enjoy the snow and stay warm.
Posted by: Cesar

Re: First trip this weekend, wish me luck. - 01/12/10 12:03 AM

Im curious how the quinzee works out. Hope you have a bag stays dry, Ive read that can be a problem in snow shelters. Anyhow be safe and have fun.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: First trip this weekend, wish me luck. - 01/12/10 10:43 AM

Bring dry clothes, shelter building will be hard and wet.
Posted by: bmwrider

Re: First trip this weekend, wish me luck. - 01/12/10 12:10 PM

The quinzee is next month and I will be using a sled so I'll take extra gear like clothes just for building the quinzee and a dry bag to store them in when I'm done, half of the people in the group are instructors and we have had 3 hr. talks about gear for this season on 4 different days so we are very orginized which is nice.
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: First trip this weekend, wish me luck. - 01/14/10 01:03 AM

My daughter and I slept in a quinzhee years ago when
she was only 12. The temperature that night was -22 F.!! But we were very warm in that shelter on our two sleeping platforms. And it was very quiet inside. No wind or creaking tree noises at all.

You'll love a Quinzhee. Get "Allen and Mike's Really Cool Backcountry Ski Book"for a LOT of winter camping info and shelter building tips. Only about 25% of the book is on skiing.

Eric
Posted by: thecook

Re: First trip this weekend, wish me luck. - 01/14/10 01:09 PM

Have a great time! I'm going out in a couple of weeks and am looking forward to it.