Winter and Butane

Posted by: wacker

Winter and Butane - 01/10/10 04:19 PM

I've been doing alot of online research and trying to find ways to optimize the working range of my Cartridge style stove. I've already sourced out fuel that is a Isobutane/Propane mix. (Iso has a boiling point around 11F and Pro around -31F) I have an upcoming white mountains trip this month and although a campfire will be the primary heat and cooking source I like the challenge of making the cartridge stove work.

So far I've source out a fuel, bought a stand to allow me to run a proper windscreen without overheating the cartridge. I'm thinking of making a sac with foam bottom (to insulate from the ground) and space to toss a handwarmer or two in with the cartridge.

What do you all think?

Any comments or Ideas are welcome I'll get some pics this week.
Posted by: hikerduane

Re: Winter and Butane - 01/10/10 08:33 PM

I used my isobutane fired MSR Pocket Rocket in 4 and 5 degree mornings, here in CA last fall. I should have just heated some water then added more after I dipped the cansiter in the heated water to vaporize the fuel, which made a very noticeable increase in the flame/noise. However, if you can heat up your fuel before hand, do that. If melting snow, use white gas powered stoves.