insulated bowl help

Posted by: bmwrider

insulated bowl help - 01/08/10 03:24 PM

I need an insulated bowl, I looked at the GSI but it is small, I want 20 oz. for freeze dried meals, I picked up a fair share mug and would like to insulate it and need advice, duct tape and closed cell foam seems like it would just be a big sticky mess, any advice would be big help.
Posted by: Cesar

Re: insulated bowl help - 01/08/10 03:47 PM

Have you checked out this GSI Nesting Bowl/Mug. Its the same that comes with a soloist or dualist. If you leave them together and not use them individually it should insulate a lot better. Plus it has a top to help keep food warm if you dont eat it right away. If you plan to insulate your current bowl Reflectix and tape should do the trick. Check out AGG pot cozies for some ideas.
Posted by: bmwrider

Re: insulated bowl help - 01/11/10 08:38 PM

I did a search for that pot cozy and found nothing, could you help?

Re: insulated bowl help - 01/11/10 09:02 PM

Here you go.
cozies
Posted by: Tango61

Re: insulated bowl help - 01/11/10 10:14 PM

Go to HomeDepot or Lowe's and go over to the insulation section.
Look for some material called Reflectix (sp?). It is basically shiny bubble wrap. You can also get some real duct tape that the HVAC guys use or use duct tape (the gray kind that we all use) and build you a pouch. You can also go to Walmart/Kmart/CVS/Walgreens and pick up a windshield shade as your material.

I have made cozies for 4qt and 8qt cook pots for big groups. We get the water boiling, take it off the heat and put the pot in the cozy. It keeps it hot/warm for a long time.

Re: insulated bowl help - 01/11/10 10:18 PM

Tango, have you ever made a pot cozy from ccf pad or would the pad just melt if you were to put a pot fresh off the stove in it?
Posted by: Tango61

Re: insulated bowl help - 01/12/10 08:34 PM

I do have a pot cozy made from ccf that I use for a nalgene style bottle. I've not used ccf on a metal pot. I think it would depend on how hot you get the pot and if you let the metal pot cool for any length of time before putting it in the cozy. I have some scrap ccf and an old coffee can that I can do some testing this weekend.

I'll let you know.
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: insulated bowl help - 01/14/10 12:56 AM

I use a Cool Whip bowl year 'round. In winter I use the lid for heat retention when I need to put
my food aside to tend to something else. (Always happens)

And if you want more insulation nest it in a 2nd Cool Whip bowl W/ double sided tape on the bottom of the inner bowl to hold it together. That should insulate plenty while you're eating.

You can trim the top rim off the outside bowl with nail scissors for a better fit and even put double sided tape around the rim between the bowls.

Eric

Re: insulated bowl help - 01/15/10 06:20 PM

Wouldn't the coolwhip bowl become a bit deformed and unstable because of its thin plastic if your to pour hot soup in?
Posted by: 300winmag

Re: insulated bowl help - 01/20/10 01:07 AM

Caesar,

No, the Cool Whip bowl has never deformed from putting boiling hot water in it. It's thick enough to handle it.

Eric

Re: insulated bowl help - 01/20/10 04:22 PM

Oh cool, Ill have to try it out. thanks.