Suggestions for a 20-25day long-distance hike

Posted by: francesco06

Suggestions for a 20-25day long-distance hike - 03/04/22 01:32 PM

HI,

I am looking for a 20-25 day hike anywhere on the West Coast or Central USA. Essentially not on the east coast.

I am coming from London and want a good challenge before starting at Dartmouth College.

I have previously looked at the JMT but it looks a little to crowded for my liking. I am quite comfortable with navigating so that isn't to much of an issue.

Any help will be greatly appreciated

F
Posted by: BZH

Re: Suggestions for a 20-25day long-distance hike - 03/04/22 03:00 PM

Please edit your OP to indicate if you are or are not wanting West coast hikes. Since you mentioned JMT I'll assume you are looking for West coast hikes (and planning on hitting up east coast hikes while at Dartmouth). With 20-25 days you are looking at very long trails. That's how long I might plan to do the JMT, but I am pretty slow.

If the JMT is the length you are looking for, there is the Big SEKI Loop which was designed to be an alternative to the JMT. It is supposed to hit the highlights of the JMT, be a loop (so easier to get transportation), and avoid the heaviest traffic of the JMT. The Superior Hiking Trail is another option and much less crowded. 310 miles through northern Minnesota.

For longer hikes you are looking at the one of the big three. Of the big three hikes in the US (east to west: Appalachian Trail, Continental Divide Trail, Pacific Crest Trail), the Continental divide trail is the least busy and hardest to coordinate (supply points).

If you are comfortable in desert environment and really good with route finding, you can attampt the not quite completed Condor Trail. In a similar vain (and starting in nearby) is the not quite official Hot Springs Trail: https://www.ariazoner.com/hot-springs-trail

Not sure if this applies to you, but a word of caution: the United States is much bigger than many Europeans realize. These trails are not easy to get to and very spread out across the country. Driving across the US takes a week. Very few trail heads have any sort of public transit options.
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: Suggestions for a 20-25day long-distance hike - 03/04/22 03:25 PM

The Ouachita National Recreation Trail is about the right length:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_DOCUMENTS/fsm9_039448.pdf
Posted by: francesco06

Re: Suggestions for a 20-25day long-distance hike - 03/06/22 11:20 AM

Awesome thanks! some really helpful suggestions.

Yep I meant East coast, stupid mistake.

Have you ever done the Colorado trail, is that any good?
Posted by: BZH

Re: Suggestions for a 20-25day long-distance hike - 03/07/22 12:22 PM

Originally Posted By francesco06
Have you ever done the Colorado trail, is that any good?

I have not done the Colorado Trail. I have hiked in the Rockies a couple times and the views are spectacular. That would be a really good intro to the wide open views and spaces of the United States. My mind is a little foggy, but I think I was trying to put together a trip plan on the Colorado Trail utilizing a train out of Durango. It was a tourist train but apparently you could flag it down and get a lift into town. I think this was the train: https://www.durangotrain.com/