Garmin Handheld GPS

Posted by: 55RBall

Garmin Handheld GPS - 04/30/10 09:23 PM

I'm a huge fan of this Garmin eTrex Handheld GPS:

http://www.alloutdoorandmore.com/Garmin-eTrex-H-p/garmin-010-00631-00.htm

I've found that it's perfect for long hiking trips!
Posted by: aimless

Re: Garmin Handheld GPS - 05/02/10 01:07 AM

What long hiking trips have you taken it on?

Re: Garmin Handheld GPS - 05/02/10 07:05 PM

I've taken it on some trips in Mt. Ranier National Park, and also on some short trips in Pictured Rocks (Upper Peninsula, MI). I hope to take many more trips in the future!
Posted by: aimless

Re: Garmin Handheld GPS - 05/02/10 07:29 PM

I guess I should ask you what your idea of a long trip is, and how this GPS might be particularly good for that sort of trip. I am only asking because you made a pretty enthusiastic endorsement, but also a pretty vague one, and it would mean more to anyone reading it if they knew what it was based on.

Re: Garmin Handheld GPS - 05/03/10 04:42 PM

I've taken it on some 2-week-long trips. I really like this Garmin eTrex because my reception was always clear, it's pretty lightweight and easy to use. I've never had any problems with it.
Posted by: BarryP

Re: Garmin Handheld GPS - 05/03/10 05:32 PM

I use that Garmin. I like its AA battery use. It weighs about 4.5oz w/ lithiums. Their posted weight is probably with alkalines. It takes about 40 seconds for the first power up, and then about 10s after that.
I take it on trips where I’ve never been. And each time, I’m glad I had it. Last month we were doing some of the River to River trail in southern IL. There are so many trails going through there that we couldn’t tell which one to be on w/o a GPS since signage is lacking. Also a lot of the trails aren’t on the USGS map, so it’s nice to know where you are on the map w/ that Garmin.

-Barry
Posted by: Pat-trick

Re: Garmin Handheld GPS - 07/06/10 11:07 PM

I bought the eTrex a year and a half ago, and found out it says I am about 250 meters north of where I really am. Is there a way to calibrate it? I figured out the discrepancy by taking readings at road intersections and comparing them to the topo map.
Posted by: BarryP

Re: Garmin Handheld GPS - 07/08/10 12:28 PM

Since the etrex H is accurate to 10m, it sounds like something else is amiss. Did the map maker put the roads in the correct spot or did they fudge it a little? Are you in the middle of several high rises?

-Barry

Re: Garmin Handheld GPS - 07/08/10 12:36 PM

no buildings like that, just houses nearby. i'm in a valley, mountains ranges on at least 2-3 sides, but distant.
Posted by: Jimshaw

Re: Garmin Handheld GPS - 07/08/10 11:38 PM

Probably the GPS is accurate and whatever you compare it to is off. I've seen this before between Topo 4, Google Earth, and a printed map.The GPS only recieves timing signals, its hard for it to be off.
Jim
Posted by: Trailrunner

Re: Garmin Handheld GPS - 07/10/10 06:23 PM

The datum setting on the GPS must match the map datum. That's probably why you're off.

Re: Garmin Handheld GPS - 07/10/10 08:07 PM

Originally Posted By Trailrunner
The datum setting on the GPS must match the map datum. That's probably why you're off.

Holy Crap, Batman, you were exactly right!

I just spent the time from receiving your message to now, reading the manual and setting the datum to NAD27 CONUS, and now my mailbox is exactly where it's supposed to be, on the map!

Wow, and HOT dog!

awesomegoodjobthanks lol You just made my day!