1st trip Hoist Lakes, Michigan

Posted by: olyburbur

1st trip Hoist Lakes, Michigan - 07/04/08 09:01 PM

Hey everyone.
So I've finally gathered all my gear, read lots of books and I'm getting ready to plan my first trip. I was wondering if any one had any input regarding the Hoist Lakes Trail system in Michigan. I live in Lansing, but have relatives in Oscoda - just a short drive to the Hoist Lakes area. Has anyone been there recently & can you tell me about trail conditions, etc before I begin planning? I'm thinking of making it a two-nighter, hopefully doing the East and West loop together. ANy input would be greatly appreciated.
Posted by: kev452

Re: 1st trip Hoist Lakes, Michigan - 07/06/08 12:27 PM

There is a camp site on the Norther tip of Byron lake, that is very nice. It is kind of high up from the lake but one of the nicest I have stayed at in Michigan. Great views in the morning. There are fish in the lake, but rather hard to catch from shore.
It is a nice place to put up your tent and use as a base camp for a day. You can go to lookout point (or some name like that) the next day, and just walk around the lake close by( I have forgotten it's name) Now I am not even sure it has one. But any way. Last I was there the pumps were not working so bring a filter.
K