Backpacking through Australia

Posted by: cezar

Backpacking through Australia - 04/17/08 08:31 PM

Hi, everyone,

I'm new around here and I am planning a backpack throguh Australia with one of my friends in October until about early December. We are wanting to see the eastern coast of Australia.

Has anyone been here? Do you have any recommendations? Does anyone have any good websites (preferably unofficial ones) that have information on travelling on the coast?

I'm sorry if this is the wrong sub-forum or the wrong website. I'm not too good at this stuff!

Thanks.
Posted by: TomD

Re: Backpacking through Australia - 04/17/08 09:51 PM

First, you should let us know exactly what you mean by "backpacking." If you are just talking about traveling on the cheap with a pack, there are other travel sites such as Lonely Planet, the book publisher, with better info than you will likely get here.

This site is a hiking site, not a general travel site. Doesn't mean some of us haven't done it, just not what this site is all about.

The last time I was down in Oz was years ago. I was up and down the East Coast-Sydney, Brisbane, the Gold Coast, Melbourne, Cairns, Canberra. I took the train, bus, got rides from people I met and hired a car for a few days.

It is easy to get around, but flying is expensive. I didn't really do any camping, but there are plenty of places to camp.

Get a good guidebook, like the Lonely Planet or Insight book and start planning with them. Don't forget the seasons are opposite ours.