Best Hike in CanyonLands Nation Park .. a must do!

Posted by: Ryker Mom

Best Hike in CanyonLands Nation Park .. a must do! - 05/12/21 08:28 PM

I decided to venture onto a trail that had no cars in the parking lot at Canyonlands National Park, and it turned out to be one of my favorite hikes! In this video, I show you the aztec ruins, the amazing views, and the scrambling required ... this hiking trail has it all, and the best part ... I had the entire trail to myself!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oeX-E6zYOI4&t=135s
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Best Hike in CanyonLands Nation Park .. a must do! - 05/12/21 08:38 PM

Absolutely agree with you about this hike. What fun! And when I took my adult daughter on this hike, she got so excited about the clambering that she has now become a real gym rat climber---regularly sending 5.9s and 5.10s.

Glad you had such a great time there.
Posted by: Arizona

Re: Best Hike in CanyonLands Nation Park .. a must do! - 05/14/21 09:08 AM

It looks like a fun hike but “the best in Canyonlands”? That’s a rather bold statement for that incredibly vast and varied place. You did say that you would show us some aztec ruins but didn’t see any. I don’t know of any aztec ruins in Utah or even near there.
Canyonlands overall is indeed an amazing place, huge in scope that never ceases to astonish and mystify.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Best Hike in CanyonLands Nation Park .. a must do! - 05/14/21 09:56 AM

The name of the butte is Aztec Butte--much in the same way that Montezuma's Castle near the Verde Valle is named. Many landmarks in the Southwest bear names that have no real connection to their history or cultural connections. Not to mention places like Paris, Texas.

The ruins on Aztec Butte are minimal--a couple of small stone enclosures on top, and the Ancient Puebloan granary she mentions in her video.

You are correct. There are many fabulous hikes in the Canyonlands. She really loved this one, and I don't see any reason to damper her enthusiasm.
Posted by: Arizona

Re: Best Hike in CanyonLands Nation Park .. a must do! - 05/14/21 07:12 PM

Okay, I get the joke. smile
It often looks like people have gone into those granaries on hands and knees from the marks we have encountered. When you see wood rat materials that always sends up a red flag.

The surrounding areas of Canyonlands are amazing too. Hike long enough and you will see big ruins, multi-storied and huge pictographs that have no trails leading to them. Some have good sized painted potsherds and stone tools. Absolutely love the little colorful, lithium piles of tool makings. One of my favorite places on earth.