CA National Forest closures 9.8.20

Posted by: Rick_D

CA National Forest closures 9.8.20 - 09/08/20 11:41 AM

As of this morning, these forests are closed due to extreme fire conditions (heat+high winds)
Quote:
The closures affect all national forests south of Eldorado National Forest in Placerville, including:

Stanislaus National Forest

Sierra National Forest

Sequoia National Forest

Inyo National Forest

Los Padres National Forest

Angeles National Forest

San Bernardino National Forest

Cleveland National Forest

Closure status will be reviewed daily as the conditions change, according to a news release from the Forest Service.

Also, per our local paper roughly fifty hikers are safely hunkered down at Vermillion Valley Resort, a semifamous hopping off and resupply point for PCT hikers. They should be evacuated today if plans pan out.

Be safe!
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: CA National Forest closures 9.8.20 - 09/08/20 12:14 PM

You might not have seen our trip report on this area...we just missed getting caught there....
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: CA National Forest closures 9.8.20 - 09/09/20 11:27 AM

It appears that all the national forests in Oregon aiong the Cascades are closed. It's a real holocaust thanks to the "historic wind event" that started Monday afternoon. East winds have moderated a little but they are still blowing.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: CA National Forest closures 9.9.20 update - 09/09/20 05:27 PM

You're right, the Forest Service has closed all National Forests in the state.
Quote:
In an unprecedented move, the U.S. Forest Service on Wednesday closed all national forests in California in a frantic attempt to prevent more wildfires from erupting.

“The number of large fires and extreme fire behavior we are seeing across the state is historic,” Regional Forester Randy Moore said in a written statement. “These temporary closures are necessary to protect the public and our firefighters, and we will keep them in place until conditions improve and we are confident that National Forest visitors can recreate safely.”

Wednesday’s announcement extended the full closure to the remaining 10 forests in the northern half of the state. Visitors face fines and possible prison time for violating the emergency order.

“I ask all Californians and visitors to take these closures and evacuations seriously for their own safety and to allow our firefighters to focus on the mission of safely suppressing these fires,” Moore said.

https://www.sacbee.com/news/california/fires/article245604870.html#storylink=cpy

Was beginning planning of a season-ender at the end of September, but guess I'll pencil it in for the time being. What will be open?
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: CA National Forest closures 9.9.20 update - 09/13/20 04:55 PM

Those fires will be burning for quite a while yet. Even here in wetter Oregon, it will be well into November of even December before they are pretty well out.

Air Quality Index where I live is in the high 500s, basically off the scale above Hazardous, so I'm not even going outside!
Posted by: Pika

Re: CA National Forest closures 9.9.20 update - 09/14/20 01:23 PM

The smoke from the California fires has reached SE Arizona. I’m surrounded by mountains where I live; often I can’t see them for the smoke. The sun is a red ball for at least two hours after sunrise and before sunset. The sky is overcast with the smoke. No idea about the air quality but my eyes are irritated.
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: CA National Forest closures 9.9.20 update - 09/17/20 11:02 AM

Originally Posted By Rick_D
Was beginning planning of a season-ender at the end of September, but guess I'll pencil it in for the time being. What will be open?
It's time for you West coasters to hike my neck of the woods. TX, AR, and OK hiking season starts in earnest in fall and goes through late spring. I guess you could hike summer too, if you like hiking in a sauna, but I don't.

In all seriousness, I wish you all the best. Stay safe.