Road trip to the Rubies

Posted by: balzaccom

Road trip to the Rubies - 08/01/20 05:35 PM

We're just back from a ten day trip to the Ruby Mountains in northeastern Nevada, with stops at the South Ruby Wildlife Refuge, Angel Lake, and Lamoille Canyon.

What a spectacular area! We loved the refuge--and lost count of the number of different birds we saw. Angel Lake (with hikes to Smith Lake and almost to Winchell Lake--gotta read the whole story) was wonderful.

But all of that paled in comparison to Lamoille Canyon and the hikes we took there: Thomas Creek, Island Lake, and Liberty Pass to Liberty Lake. Stunning scenery, more beaver ponds than we'd ever seen in our lives, excellent fishing, and did we mention spectacular scenery?

Yep.

This was a treat. The whole trip report is here:

https://www.backpackthesierra.com/post/the-ruby-mountains

including a link to way too many photos. But it was so stunning...
Posted by: aimless

Re: Road trip to the Rubies - 08/01/20 11:07 PM

Well, now you've gone and done it. frown

As someone recently remarked to me, if it's been on Instagram, it's not remote anymore. Your website may not be Instagram, but it is probably easily searchable. And here I was wondering where I could escape the crowds who are fleeing into the western wilds in such numbers this year. The Rubies were on the outskirts of my circumference of travel.

Oh well, your pics are stunning and your enthusiasm is evident. Maybe next year. smile
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Road trip to the Rubies - 08/02/20 09:47 AM

It is a long dam*ed drive from anywhere that has any people...