Yosemite closed, SEKI open for the moment 3/20/20

Posted by: Rick_D

Yosemite closed, SEKI open for the moment 3/20/20 - 03/21/20 04:28 PM

Just that. IDK if any national forests have similar restrictions but who wants crowds right now anyway?

Best,
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Yosemite closed, SEKI open for the moment 3/20/20 - 03/22/20 11:08 AM

In fact, the state of California and the CDC is requesting that we not leave our home counties for any reason, and that we not leave our homes except for food, medicine, or exercise.

Here is a note from someone near Yosemite National Park: "Closing the park also protects those that live and/or work in the park from someone bringing the virus in from another area. Medical care is limited in the park at it's best and do your really want the rangers to have to respond to hurt or lost hikers, or accidents or anything else that could possible expose them to the virus that was brought in by a visitor? Plus with the free entrance to all national parks now, the park would be over run and we saw what happened during the government shutdown. The Governor wants people to stay local and enjoy a park in their area or just go take a walk in their neighborhood."
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Yosemite closed, SEKI open for the moment 3/20/20 - 03/22/20 08:13 PM

Oregon has just closed all its state parks, including for day use. It's spring break week, hordes have headed for the beach, and evidently nobody is practicing "social distancing" over there. The local communities are all concerned about sick visitors overrunning their inadequate medical facilities. They are closing all lodging and short term rentals, and telling even owners of vacation homes to pack up and go home.

After a beautiful week of spring weather, rain is due tonight, which may discourage some of the horde.

Re: Yosemite closed, SEKI open for the moment 3/20/20 - 03/24/20 09:58 AM

Popular Columbia River Gorge trails, also mobbed last weekend, have been closed, both State Park and US Forest Service. The rain has also returned, which may help.

Re: Yosemite closed, SEKI open for the moment 3/20/20 - 03/25/20 06:15 PM

Olympic NP is closed, too.
Posted by: parkhopper99

Re: Yosemite closed, SEKI open for the moment 3/20/20 - 04/08/20 12:26 PM

Now would have been the perfect time to visit national parks since there arent any people around. I wanted to visit Yosemite so I can add another national park hat to my collection but I guess I have to wait until they open again.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Yosemite closed, SEKI open for the moment 3/20/20 - 04/10/20 12:38 AM

They will stop you at the entrance station.
Posted by: haan9953

Re: Yosemite closed, SEKI open for the moment 3/20/20 - 04/20/20 06:12 AM

thanks for the update.. all the state park have been closed and penalty will be levied if we still enter the area