Handicapping the Calif 2019 hiking season

Posted by: Rick_D

Handicapping the Calif 2019 hiking season - 02/21/19 02:52 PM

Winter 2018-19 has come through in a big way so far and while it's only mid-February, all three Sierra snow basins are over 100% of their April 1 historical averages. Just how much?

Averages:

• North is 127% for today's date, 106% for April 1.
  • Central is 152% for this date, 124% for April 1.
  • South is 150% for this date, 118% for April 1.
  • The whole range is 144% for this date, 117% for April 1.

This is great for the health of mountains, meadows, forests, streams and wildlife, especially considering it's the second above-average precipitation year in a decade. Hope I'm not jinxing things--if I am it will stop snowing tomorrow until November.

Here's an article presenting some fun aerial comparisons with last year.

My actual point is the high country will probably open later than usual and certainly later than we've become accustomed to in the last decade. A hot spring and/or wet spring rain could change that but so far we're colder and wetter than average, so keep the snowshoes handy. Late-season hikers will enjoy lots more accessible water than we've been seeing.

Cheers,
Posted by: aimless

Re: Handicapping the Calif 2019 hiking season - 02/21/19 03:46 PM

the high country will probably open later than usual and certainly later than we've become accustomed to in the last decade.

Presumably the Sierra's creeks and rivers will be running higher, for a longer time, than has been usual during that time, too.
Posted by: Rick_D

Re: Handicapping the Calif 2019 hiking season - 02/28/19 08:52 PM

Waving howdy and an update:

As of 2/28 the range total is 133% of seasonal average and 153% of average for the date.

Historically, Dec-Feb are the wettest months but March sometimes is wet as a wet thing, so stay tuned. PCT northbounders are going to be on a bubble.

Cheers,