anyone been to Nahuel Huapi or Volcan Villarica ?

Posted by: bobito9

anyone been to Nahuel Huapi or Volcan Villarica ? - 12/08/18 04:10 PM

Howdy,
I know this forum mostly deals with domestic US hiking, but I'm curious if anyone has been backpacking in either Nahuel Huapi NP near Bariloche, Argentina or Volcan Villarica, Chile. I think Balzaccom has done some trips thereabouts (?)
Thanks!
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: anyone been to Nahuel Huapi or Volcan Villarica ? - 12/08/18 09:56 PM

Sadly, I only drove by---didn't have a chance to get out and do some hiking. I've hiked in El Chalten in Argentina, and Calafate, but not in Chile. Scenery is stunning in both places. And I hope to get back to Chile next year,
Posted by: bobito9

Re: anyone been to Nahuel Huapi or Volcan Villarica ? - 12/09/18 12:51 AM

I'll let you know how my trip goes if you like. I know Nahuel Huapi somewhat from a backpacking trip I did there 20 years ago, though I got sick on day 1 and ended up laying in my tent for days recuperating. The trails are easily reached from the town of Bariloche by bus and there are a number of route options, but there are some route particulars that I am hoping to find out about in advance.
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: anyone been to Nahuel Huapi or Volcan Villarica ? - 12/09/18 09:34 PM

Yep--I'd love to know more about it. We found hiking in Argentina was a bit more crowded than we hoped, but the scenery is spectacular, and you gotta love the fact that you're on glaciers and at 2500 feet, breathing normally!