Whiteout pall triggers 911 call

Posted by: Bob Chiang

Whiteout pall triggers 911 call - 09/19/18 12:00 PM

Hi all,

I've started writing trip reports on a blog site. They're more story format than descriptive instructional reports.

In May of 2017 my wife and I took a trip to visit our son in Saguache, Colorado. After our visit, my wife flew home and I did some climbing.

After climbing the Angel of Shavano snow route, I got lost descending in a whiteout! After a long time bushwhacking through dense blow down and snow along a compass bearing, the rain intensified. With darkness and nights chill a couple of hours away, I started second guessing my chosen bearing...

You can read the full story here:
Here's a story about getting lost descending in a whiteout

Here's one about canoe camping in Northern Minnesota and Ontario, Canada

And here's one about climbing Mt. Democrat in Colorado

Please leave comments on the blog site as I'm more likely to see them there. And if you find the stories entertaining, please subscribe because there are more to come. The next will likely be about a trip last July to climb in the Tetons and Mt. Rainier.

Thanks and
Have Fun,
-Bob
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Whiteout pall triggers 911 call - 09/19/18 02:02 PM

It's a good story---but hard to read: black type on a brown background. My eyes don't want to work that hard...
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Whiteout pall triggers 911 call - 09/19/18 03:45 PM

Very interesting story - especially the interplay between wanting help but recognizing that calling out a full SAR response might be overkill. The details on your thought process was very informative, and a great job of keeping your head. Also a good object lesson on how to use cell/text communication responsibly.
Posted by: Bob Chiang

Re: Whiteout pall triggers 911 call - 09/20/18 07:42 AM

Thanks for the feedback balzaccom. This is my first attempt at a blog, so everything is new.

Have Fun,
-Bob
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: Whiteout pall triggers 911 call - 09/20/18 09:41 AM

Yeah, when I read it I had to highlight the text with the mouse to give it better contrast.

ETA: Enjoyed the story.