Looking for a place to hike/camp for 3 nights

Posted by: allen33

Looking for a place to hike/camp for 3 nights - 04/02/18 11:32 AM

Hey all, I live in NJ and I'm looking for a nice spot that I can hike/camp for 3 days/nights on the east coast, preferable withing 6 hrs drive time of NJ. I've been doing day hikes for a few years and me and the wife want to start doing longer hikes and being setting up camp at night. We are looking to go at the end of May, any suggestions? Thanks!
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: Looking for a place to hike/camp for 3 nights - 04/02/18 03:11 PM

I don't have any personal experience with it, but I know the Appalachian Trail goes through NJ. Have you looked at doing sections of that?
Posted by: BZH

Re: Looking for a place to hike/camp for 3 nights - 04/02/18 04:11 PM

Last summer I hiked in Harriman State Park. It is in NY on the NY/NJ border. It is a very nice park and accessible by train! My trip was 2 nights, but I could have easily extended it to see more of the park. It is pretty amazing you can get that kind of seclusion so close to NYC. Let me know if you have any questions.
Posted by: JustWalking

Re: Looking for a place to hike/camp for 3 nights - 04/02/18 05:10 PM

Depends on where you live in NJ, of course, but there are plenty of great backpacking areas in PA, as well as upstate NY (in the Adirondacks).

The Susquahannock State Forest in PA is only about 3-4 hours away from Trenton and provide lots of backpacking trails and such, for one example.

The George Washington and Jefferson National Forest in VA, WV is about a 5-6 hour drive from Trenton and also offer lots of backpacking trails.

And Harriman, in NY, is also a good choice for something closer in, as BZH said.
Posted by: snapper

Re: Looking for a place to hike/camp for 3 nights - 04/12/18 12:18 PM

You might want to check out the many trails in the Catskills. Lots of opportunities in that region. You can backpack, set up a basecamp and day hike or do a combination. While the Adirondacks are great, the drive to the Catskills will be a lot less of an investment in time and gas so it might be a good option to look into.

That's all for now. Take care and until next time....be well.

snapper