Blue Lakes Colorado Backpacking

Posted by: mrfritz44

Blue Lakes Colorado Backpacking - 01/22/17 06:56 PM

We're looking at an early to mid May trip to Colorado and we're eyeing the Blue Lakes area. We're looking to hike and possibly backpack and camp to one or all three of the blue lakes. Has anyone here done it or can anyone offer advice to a group who will be first time Colorado backpackers?
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Blue Lakes Colorado Backpacking - 01/22/17 07:26 PM

I don't know how many "Blue Lakes" are in Colorado, but I know of several, in different parts of the state. Could you please describe where they are?

If it's these Blue Lakes (which came up first on a google search). the altitude of the lowest lake is 11,000 feet. In early to mid May, the trail and lakes will be under many feet of snow, it will still be snowing, the lakes will be solidly frozen, and avalanche danger may be high.

I'd wait until late June or early July at the earliest, or find a much lower-altitude destination.
Posted by: topshot

Re: Blue Lakes Colorado Backpacking - 01/22/17 10:04 PM

In mid-May the Lost Creek Wilderness is one of few Rockies destinations you could consider and it will still have some snow higher up. Since you say you're first time CO bpers, I'm guessing you're not wanting to ski/snowshoe or deal with crampons.
Posted by: mrfritz44

Re: Blue Lakes Colorado Backpacking - 01/23/17 06:13 AM

Sounds like we'll need to push back the trip or focus on the west slope into Utah since snow isn't fun for me.