Fall Creek Falls Trip Report

Posted by: nashscan

Fall Creek Falls Trip Report - 03/08/14 02:54 PM

This is my very first true backcountry camping trip I have taken as an adult. It is also my first solo backcountry trip ever. I decided on Fall Creek Falls due to the proximity to my residence in Middle TN, and the availability of backcountry camping. I have been amassing some gear over the past couple of years. One is a big seven pound backpack I got off Amazon. I also got a Thermorest Neoair, a Katadyn water filter, MSR Pocket Rocket and a little all in one cookest from REI. I used an old 20 degree Kelty sleeping bag I got in 5th grade back in 1991. My total pack weight was about 25 lbs. I can't wait to upgrade my sleeping bag to a really nice down one, and get a lighter pack.

On this trip, I chose the lower loop portion of the overnight trail.

The whole loop is 12 miles, but I am out of shape and new to this so I chose the first campsite, about three miles down the trail. There is a 2nd campsite about 2.5 miles after that.

I arrived yesterday with enough time to set up camp and gather firewood. I wish I had gathered more, but honestly I was tired after awhile and made do with what I got. It lasted me until bedtime, but I wish I had more for the morning.

I woke up a few times during the night just because I am not used to sleeping outside of a comfy bed. I wouldn't say I slept poorly, but it was adequate. My feet were cold, and next time I am going to bring one of those handwarmers for my feet. Here's a couple more photos:

Please reply with any questions or suggestions.

Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Fall Creek Falls Trip Report - 03/08/14 03:37 PM

Nice!!

I thought you might be a fellow Ozarker when I read the title. We have a "Fall Creek Falls" here too that's a pretty popular hike. I've never been there, but I've hiked quite a bit in the wilderness area it's in.

That first solo trip is always cool. Good for you for getting out there too. Those after are more fun though because that last bit of apprehension has dissipated away.

The only suggestion I'll offer is don't worry about miles. More miles does not equal more fun or a better trip. It's really about the fun and I'd much rather have more days and nights out that do more miles on those I have.

Posted by: jimmyb

Re: Fall Creek Falls Trip Report - 03/08/14 03:55 PM

Dude Congrats on your first's! goodjob awesome selfie too. Glad you had a good time. Sounds like your gear selections are headed in the right direction. A lighter pack and bag will greatly increase your trail comfort. I think your choice of updating pack and bag will give you the most weight loss for your dollars spent and a nice down bag will keep you toasty and may extend your seasons a bit with an accurate rated bag. Thanks for posting the pics. Looks like our stopping grounds except we haven't seen leaves for quite some time and probably wont for a bit either.

jimmyb
Posted by: intrek38

Re: Fall Creek Falls Trip Report - 03/08/14 05:03 PM

Congrats on your first Solo Trip. My first trip was 34 years ago and it still seems like it was yesterday. It took about 27 of those year to get enough nerve to go solo. Thanks for posting..
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Fall Creek Falls Trip Report - 03/08/14 06:48 PM

Congrats on your first solo trip!

We have a Falls Creek Falls here, too, just across the Columbia River in Washington. There are, of course, a lot of "Falls Creeks," with or without actual waterfalls, anywhere that isn't flat.

The fact that you got along fine with the gear you've had for a long time proves that you don't have to have the latest and greatest--just get out there and enjoy yourself, and switch to lighter stuff gradually when you can.

I keep promoting the articles on the home page of this site, left hand column, both because they are excellent and they really helped me lighten up. At least half the process is eliminating unnecessary or redundant items, rather than buying new stuff. If I've already sent you there, apologies, but perhaps someone else reading this report will read them.

Oh,and for the cold feet? A really thick pair of wool or fleece socks, kept exclusively for sleeping. Worth the price and weight, IMHO. I now have down booties, but they are more expensive and really aren't any warmer than the fleece socks I used to wear. Yes, redundant gear, but IMHO a luxury worth having! Besides, a good night's sleep is priceless! So are warm feet!

Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Fall Creek Falls Trip Report - 03/08/14 07:40 PM

You never forget your first! smile Nice to see another fellow Tennessean on board.
Posted by: bluefish

Re: Fall Creek Falls Trip Report - 03/09/14 06:41 PM

Thanks for the report, and I hope to see many more!!!!!!!
My wife loves her down booties, they are great if you have to get up in the middle of the night. Last night, when it was in the single digits, guess which one of us had to struggle putting frozen boots on. mad Good heavy wool sleeping socks do work great, too. I'm really glad you got out and hit the trail. Awesome.