where should we go?

Posted by: EMeade

where should we go? - 03/05/13 07:14 PM

My wife and I have the last week of May available for a backpacking trip, and we can go anywhere in the U.S. or Canada. Any suggestions?

I would take her to the Rockies, the Sierras, or the Cascades, but I am guessing it may be too early in the season for any of these destinations. Was also thinking of someplace in the Southwest.

Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
Posted by: Pika

Re: where should we go? - 03/05/13 07:34 PM

You might consider the Hermit Trail in the Grand Canyon if you can get a permit. This trail takes you to Hermit Camp; about a good day's walk. You can then spend a day walking down to the river at Hermit Rapids and back and then another day hiking back to the rim. The trail is not maintained and is strenuous in places but is, in my opinion, much more scenic than is the Bright Angel Trail.
Posted by: bobito9

Re: where should we go? - 03/09/13 01:07 PM

Unfortunately we're having a very dry year here in California, which means not much snowpack (that could change). But as a result a lot of areas of the Sierra will be accessible earlier than usual. Maybe try something out of Kings Canyon. A trip I'm considering for that same weekend is up to the Trinity Alps in far northern Calif, perhaps Canyon Creek: highly scenic, gets sun and melts out early in dry years pretty well.
Posted by: oldranger

Re: where should we go? - 03/09/13 01:19 PM

This is a good time for the Hermit Trail. I agree with Pika that it is more scenic than the BA. While the weather should be ideal, I have seen snow during the last week of May on the Coconino Plateau.

You might consider something in the Gila Wilderness. Trail heads are available at a variety of elevations (5000 to 8000 feet) and it is extremely pleasant country.