Trip Report

Posted by: ETSU Pride

Trip Report - 12/31/12 03:45 PM

I went backpacking yesterday and stayed one night. You can read the report here: http://mtmusings.wordpress.com/2012/12/31/winter-trip-report/

Some things I didn't mention in the report, the temperature was around 18 at its coldest. Elevation of campsite was 3,000 feet with 4 inches of snow in most places. I originally was going climb Mt. Sterling today and check out the view then descend down a very steep trail called Baxter Creek. 4,000 feet of elevation would be lost over 6 miles. Sometimes last night I went down to the creek to get some water and I slipped on the bank covered snow and sort of extended my left knee really hard. It was painful to bend my knee and squat as well getting out my tent. I could feel the pain at night in the sleeping bag. So, because of that I didn't really want to descend 4,000 feet or climb to the summit in fear it would make the ligaments hurt more. It was dishearten, but I think I made a good decision.
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Trip Report - 12/31/12 05:19 PM

Nice!

Bummer about the knee, but certainly the right decision to not stress it while you're feeling pain.

You did good getting your fire going in those conditions. Looks like there wasn't much dry fuel to work with.

Someone really set up right next to you there? Is that a designated campsite?

Either way, I'm always kind of amazed, though never surprised, when someone does that. I would have had to put some distance between us just so I didn't have to risk hearing you snore wink

Re: Trip Report - 12/31/12 06:19 PM

It's a designated campsite that can hold several campers. They were probably 80-100 yards from me actually. It's a huge campsite located within a day's hike of major mountains. For the fire, I cheated a little using magnesium shaving and I had half a starter log with me. Lol grin
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: Trip Report - 12/31/12 06:40 PM

Even with a group, I'll set up a good ways apart whenever I can. One member of my group once asked me why I didn't put my tent closer to their cluster. "Two reasons. First, I know that I snore. Second, I don't know if you do."

Re: Trip Report - 12/31/12 07:19 PM

Haha! The sound of raging rushing water is probably greater than any human's snore. Least you would hope so.