Pictured Rock

Posted by: jwild

Pictured Rock - 06/28/11 01:58 AM

Just got back from another trip up to Michigan's Upper Peninsula. My friend and I hit up Pictured Rock National Lakeshore. It was amazing to say the least, spent a full week up there and then hit a street festival in Milwaukee WI on the way home. talk about culture shock grin

Re: Pictured Rock - 06/28/11 01:59 AM

oh and these ones too grin
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: Pictured Rock - 06/28/11 08:07 PM

Cool shots! So that's what the north end of the UP looks like.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Pictured Rock - 06/28/11 08:54 PM

When I was there it was solid fog, and I couldn't take Hysson anywhere because it's under National Park rules of no dogs on trails. Still was pretty, though!
Posted by: Glenn

Re: Pictured Rock - 06/28/11 09:04 PM

Great photos! I've always been amazed at how clear Lake Superior is. (And how cold!)
Posted by: Keith

Re: Pictured Rock - 06/29/11 12:48 AM

I believe I've cooked on that same rock at Mosquito Beach!

Going up there this weekend for a dayhike.
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Pictured Rock - 06/29/11 12:53 PM

Very beautiful pictures. Thanks.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Pictured Rock - 06/29/11 01:45 PM

I remember as a kid swimming at Pictured Rocks. Somebody from "down south" came up to my father in a winter parka and said, "are they ok?" My father replied we obviously weren't ok otherwise we wouldn't be swimming in such cold water. After 15-20 minutes the water feels fine. Then you realize that's because all of your skin has gone numb.

Thanks for the memories Jwild! I grew up in the U.P. and went to college in Milwaukee. What festival did you go to?

Re: Pictured Rock - 07/05/11 03:18 PM

Originally Posted By Keith
I believe I've cooked on that same rock at Mosquito Beach!

Going up there this weekend for a dayhike.

Yes Mosquito Beach! hahaha best place for dinner, nobody in the camp area so it was all ours!

Re: Pictured Rock - 07/05/11 03:24 PM

Originally Posted By BZH
I remember as a kid swimming at Pictured Rocks. Somebody from "down south" came up to my father in a winter parka and said, "are they ok?" My father replied we obviously weren't ok otherwise we wouldn't be swimming in such cold water. After 15-20 minutes the water feels fine. Then you realize that's because all of your skin has gone numb.

Thanks for the memories Jwild! I grew up in the U.P. and went to college in Milwaukee. What festival did you go to?

15-20 minutes?! haha you must be a true northerner grin that water was COLD my feet went numb in about 30 sec!

I am not sure what the name of the street festival was. My sister lives there and when I called her when we were passing by Milwaukee she told us to stop by cause she was already there. A week with no showers and we fit right in with all the hipsters and hippies laugh laugh laugh

Isn't Milwaukee called the city of festivals? Hmm idk
Posted by: BZH

Re: Pictured Rock - 07/07/11 11:27 AM

Originally Posted By jwild

Isn't Milwaukee called the city of festivals? Hmm idk

Yes it is. In the summer there is a festival somewhere every weekend. People in Milwaukee love to come up with excuses to drink beer!
Posted by: spwhite24

Re: Pictured Rock - 07/09/11 12:51 PM

Awesome pictures. Thanks for posting them for all to see. I want to head up there soon, like maybe August. What were the temperatures like? Weather looks good in the pictures. Any other things I should know as being new to that area? Probably be a small group. My three daughters will be going ages 6,9,12. How is the terain there? Did you do the full 40 miles? OK I will stop with the questions. Thanks for letting me pick you for information.
Happy trails,
Steven
Posted by: Chuk

Re: Pictured Rock - 07/17/11 08:28 PM

Very nice pictures!
Thanks for sharing.......

Re: Pictured Rock - 01/25/12 12:09 PM

Originally Posted By spwhite24
Awesome pictures. Thanks for posting them for all to see. I want to head up there soon, like maybe August. What were the temperatures like? Weather looks good in the pictures. Any other things I should know as being new to that area? Probably be a small group. My three daughters will be going ages 6,9,12. How is the terain there? Did you do the full 40 miles? OK I will stop with the questions. Thanks for letting me pick you for information.
Happy trails,
Steven

Hey sorry I never responded with any info frown I took a last minute job overseas and had to scramble... If you didnt make it up there and still plan on going this season message me with any questions a