Jasper Area - May 2011

Posted by: phat

Jasper Area - May 2011 - 05/21/11 07:45 PM

Still a lot of snow out there!

Full set of pics at http://bofh.cns.ualberta.ca/beck/pictures/outdoors/jasper-may2011/

The better half and I did a trip up for some dayhikes
around Jasper this last weekend - even quite low around miette
hotsprings we still have lots of snow..

So we headed for the area around Jasper and did Maligne Canyon from 6th bridge to the top and back

The next day we scooted south of town and did the circuit around the valley of the 5 lakes, with nice views of Mt Edith Cavell, Amber, and Tekarra mountains. All in all a nice trip.

Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: Jasper Area - May 2011 - 05/21/11 10:19 PM

Thanks for the great report. Looks like there at least are some parts up your way that have melted. Are you at 200% snowpack this year too?
Posted by: phat

Re: Jasper Area - May 2011 - 05/22/11 05:29 PM

I dunno about 200% but we're above normal, but then again we were above normal last year too. the last two years have seen some huge snowfalls up where we are, relatively speaking (bear in mind we get nothing like the coast ranges or sierras)

However this year it appears the melt is happening very slowly.

Posted by: kevonionia

Re: Jasper Area - May 2011 - 05/25/11 05:05 PM

phat:

Great trip report and pix. What's with the blue skies up there? We're still getting dumped on (for almost all of May) in the CO Rockies.
Posted by: Heather-ak

Re: Jasper Area - May 2011 - 05/25/11 07:39 PM

I donno about Canada - but Fairbanks has had 70+ degrees every day this week. Flowers are blooming - just beautiful. Our breakup was quick and fairly painless.
Posted by: Paulo

Re: Jasper Area - May 2011 - 05/25/11 07:46 PM

Beautiful. I miss the old place. Nice to see it so green. I expected more snow for some reason... Really nice photos. looks like you had a blast!
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Jasper Area - May 2011 - 05/26/11 06:11 PM

Great photos phat.

The views up there are just spectacular. It's a whole different world down here...

Posted by: finallyME

Re: Jasper Area - May 2011 - 05/27/11 12:55 PM

Yep, she is definitely your better half. smile
The pictures are great. Looks like you had a great time. I am going to drive up the canyon today and hopefully not see a lot of snow at the elevation I want to hike in a couple weeks. I am hoping all the rain we have had has melted, not added, to the snow level.