should be great spring runoff in the Sierra!

Posted by: bobito9

should be great spring runoff in the Sierra! - 04/10/11 12:00 AM

I am really getting psyched at the prospect of the early season runoff in the Sierra this year! One of my favorites is the Grand Canyon of the Tuolumne in Yosemite, but that probably won't be open before late June, the way this year is looking. And of course the Merced is fabulous beyond Little Yosemite Valley
Anyone got an area that looks to be accessible around Memorial Day? I really dig those lower elevation Sierra canyons early season. I'm thinking about maybe King's Canyon, or maybe Cherry Creek Canyon up in Emigrant Wilderness. Looking at the map, I also was wondering if it might be promising to follow the Mokelumne River up past Salt Creek Reservoir, or maybe the San Joaquin in the lowest reaches of Ansel Adams, like the Balloon Dome area. Seems like roads being open is a big problem there.
Ah, to dream of summer fun...
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: should be great spring runoff in the Sierra! - 04/12/11 08:18 PM

Travel up the Mokulumne above the inlet to Salt Springs Res. will be unsafe in peak runoff. It is very rough off-trail travel with slippery rocks.

I doubt the Besears Road will be open to access the trails up by Jackass Rock where you can then go towards Baloon Dome.

Cherry Lake trail may be open but you will run into a lot of snow. Cherry Creek itself wouod be highly dangerous this time of year.
Posted by: bobito9

Re: should be great spring runoff in the Sierra! - 04/13/11 11:22 PM

Well, I wouldn't even think of trying any of these til late May at a minimum, but I'm thinking that this year will be iffy even then. Thanks for the advice.