Trip Suggestions North Of San Francisco?

Posted by: ILoveMyDog76

Trip Suggestions North Of San Francisco? - 01/07/11 07:15 PM

So my buddies and I are planning a 6-7 day trip on our way back to school in Tacoma and hoping to make up some mileage on our way there. I was thinking the Lost Coast but am unsure of the river crossings at the moment with rain forcasted for the whole week. My other thought is the Redwood national forest or mendocino national forest, but am having trouble finding any long routes. Any suggestions for some good hiking trips north of San Francisco? We don't mind going east but the farther north the better. Thanks for any suggestions!
Posted by: lori

Re: Trip Suggestions North Of San Francisco? - 01/07/11 10:59 PM

Yup, Lost Coast is rainy with their 200 inches annual average! We're planning to go in late August, at the earliest.

Check this out... maybe some smaller part would appeal to you.

http://www.californiacoastaltrail.info/hikers/hikers_main.php

Have you looked at Trinity Alps? might be wintery, tho.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Trip Suggestions North Of San Francisco? - 01/08/11 01:29 AM

You could check out the Rogue River Trail in southern Oregon, but it looks as though very low snow levels are arriving and will persist most of next week. Whether they will hit that far south, I have no idea.
Posted by: Wilderness70

Re: Trip Suggestions North Of San Francisco? - 01/09/11 09:19 PM

There aren't really any long trails in the redwood parks, and backpacking is pretty limited there.

Check out the Trinity Alps or Russian Wilderness, although you'll have to deal with snow.

If you're willing to go as far east as I-5 (or a little more) you'll have the Lassen and Shasta options.

Regarding the Lost Coast trail, I'm not sure about rivers but access is limited to some beat up roads that may be impassable in the winter. Winter here is also extremely wet and pretty cold, so I wouldn't recommend hiking along the ocean.