Gore Range Trail

Posted by: Dondo

Gore Range Trail - 07/10/09 02:41 PM

Check out a photo report of my latest trip at Dondo Outdoors .
Posted by: ringtail

Re: Gore Range Trail - 07/10/09 03:14 PM

Outstanding pictures and report. That hike is on my "to do" list but I have never done it.

Thank you for sharing.
Posted by: phat

Re: Gore Range Trail - 07/10/09 03:23 PM

Sweet! thanks for sharing those.

(Although I got a giggle about the snow patches, but hey, I'm a bit further north!)

Re: Gore Range Trail - 07/10/09 08:32 PM

Thanks for the comments, guys.

Dick, I think you would really enjoy this hike. There are plenty of big trees near treeline so you could enjoy both the views and your hammock.

Phat, yeah, I imagine you still have a lot of snow up there. I almost left out the snow patch photos but I threw them in at the last minute so that no one would get into trouble repeating my hike.
Posted by: kevonionia

Re: Gore Range Trail - 07/11/09 02:50 AM

Dondo:

Great report -- I really like your format -- and excellent photos. Pretty cool that you can take public transportation to the trail.

Re: Gore Range Trail - 07/11/09 10:34 AM

Thanks, kevonionia, I'm having a lot of fun with this.

The possibilities of using public transportation were opened up to me back when we were a one-car family. Another great hike that's possible without a car is between Frisco and Vail. You get off Greyhound at the Frisco transfer station, cross I-70 on an overpass and walk 0.6 miles to the trailhead. The hike goes up Meadow Creek,over Eccles and Red Buffalo passes, and down Gore Creek to East Vail. If you have time, the side trip up to Gore Lake is really worth the effort. You can use Vail's local shuttle service to get to the Greyhound station in Vail.

How did you get that fox to pose for you, kevonionia? I've found the wildlife in the Gore Range to be pretty skittish, very unlike the creatures in Rocky Mountain National Petting Zoo.