Hiking after a forest fire

Posted by: Tango61

Hiking after a forest fire - 05/26/09 10:05 PM

I wish I could write one of those great trip reports like WanderingDaisy or Pika or OregonMouse but this is not the case.
I recently had an opportunity to lead a shake-down hike through the Davey Crockett NF on the 4-C trail.
The forest suffered a fire a couple of years ago (can't remember if it was a prescribed burn or lightning) and last summer we had hurricane Ike with major winds through the area.

Hiking through this forest was surreal. It reminded me of "The Lord of the Rings" and the forests of of Mordor. You could still smell smoke and it was somewhat depressing.

Here's a link to the pic's

(I'm still trying to figure out how to post a pic from shutterfly account).

http://tango61.shutterfly.com/170
Posted by: Dryer

Re: Hiking after a forest fire - 05/27/09 12:08 AM

Tim,
I'm going to do that hike in the fall. Any pointers?? Parking? Shuttles? Trailheads?

And post fire hikes....I once hiked a part of the Texas southwest a week after a big fire. Things were still smouldering and it smelled like a constant campfire. Not fun.
Posted by: Pika

Re: Hiking after a forest fire - 05/27/09 10:28 AM

One of my very favorite areas for overnight hiking burned recently. It was a lightning caused fire. I hiked there once after the fire; it was incredibly depressing and I haven't gone back. Seeing a magnificent stand of old Apache pine reduced to black sticks and ash was a real downer. I don't even like writing about it in this post.
Posted by: Tango61

Re: Hiking after a forest fire - 05/27/09 11:19 PM

Paul,
Let me know when you plan on going and maybe we can hook up.

Both times I've hiked this trail (2007 & 2009) I've started at the south end campground at Ratcliff. You can park there for about $3 per day, IIRC. I haven't done the whole trail or been at the north end by Neches bluffs (23 mile trail).

If I'm home that weekend, I'll be happy to shuttle you. It's about 40 minutes from my house to Ratcliff.

Pointers - bring a water filter! and lots of containers. There's only a couple of places to get water. Bring your hammock, the trees are great (not the burned ones smile )
Bugs - if you come after the first freeze, you should be ok. Otherwise, be prepared for the usual - mosquitoes, ticks.

And oh, there are some good BBQ places in the area before the drive home. smile