Ozarks Backpacking Trip

Posted by: billstephenson

Ozarks Backpacking Trip - 02/16/09 08:59 PM

Well, the coldest weeks of winter are behind us here and I'm ready to start planning another trip.

I'm not sure where I'll go yet, but I am definitely heading out soon. The forest is as clear as it gets right now. Won't be long before it starts getting thick again.

I might go wander around Richland Creek in Arkansas for a few days here soon. If anyone wants to go, let me know.

Bill

Posted by: jpanderson80

Re: Ozarks Backpacking Trip - 02/17/09 12:07 PM

Bill,
I can't go, but you are right... in case anyone is wondering about hiking this time of year in AR, it is wonderful. The cool air, the sunny skies and the lack of bugs, snakes, and people.

Have fun!

Sincerely,
Jealous
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: Ozarks Backpacking Trip - 02/17/09 08:31 PM

It is sweet here right now. When the daytime high temps rise above 50f and we have clear skies there is no better place to be.

Richland Creek is pretty cool. Twin Falls is worth the hike. I did it once during the coldest time of the year. No one else was even close to us out there (for good reason, it was really too cold and icy when we went there). Still, we got to see what very few others have ever seen. The ice under the falls was something to wonder at.

I think there is a nice loop trail there in the Ozark National Forest. I'll have to look into it some more. If not I'll just bushwhack around there for a couple days.

I wish you could be there to hike it with us. I'll bring my camera this time and post some pics.

Bill