How not to cook chicken?

Posted by: OregonMouse

How not to cook chicken? - 11/11/20 12:40 PM

3 cited for cooking chickens in Yellowstone hot spring

In addition to the fines (expensive chicken!) I would think that the chicken would taste awfully like sulfur!

Besides, raw chicken is not lightweight, and it spoils fast without refrigeration.
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: How not to cook chicken? - 11/11/20 01:03 PM

Thanks for sharing that reminder that you can't fix stupid. smile
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: How not to cook chicken? - 11/11/21 08:46 PM

The article hinted at most of the springs legally being inaccessible. Often they are surrounded by a thin, brittle crust that can give way under a person's weight. More than the chicken could be cooked. Another issue is many of the springs have toxic minerals. There is a famous fishing hole hot spring. Before this was well known, it was popular to dunk one's fish into the spring to cook it. It turned out that the spring had a high content of something toxic, maybe arsenic. It's been at least 20 years since I visited Yellowstone, so some details of presentations are fuzzy now.
Posted by: DustinV

Re: How not to cook chicken? - 11/12/21 09:48 AM

Oh Em Gee! I'm not surprised, but still amazed how bad decisions like this can seem smart. In my teens, I worked in Yellowstone and I can tell you that every ranger has a collection of stories about bad decisions like this.

We were told about the thin crusts around thermal features, and in a couple of instances some breakthroughs (from bison trying to say warm over winter) were pointed out to us. My teenage brain didn't think they looked like much, but I still kept my distance.