Drying Ground Beef

Posted by: Bill Kennedy

Drying Ground Beef - 06/19/18 03:45 AM

I finally tried mixing bread crumbs with ground beef before browning and dehydrating. It works! It rehydrates much better. Not sure where I first heard of this (maybe here) but I was prompted to try it by Dixie's video on her "Homemade Wanderlust" channel on YouTube.

I combined 1/4c each of the dried beef and couscous and 1 tbsp of Lipton onion & mushroom soup mix with boiling water, let sit in cozy for 10 minutes, and it was fairly decent. I actually ate it all, unlike some of my other experiments. I think there may be other soup or gravy mixes I'd like better. Open to suggestions.
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: Drying Ground Beef - 06/20/18 01:55 PM

Interesting. Thanks for sharing.

Re: Drying Ground Beef - 06/21/18 03:34 AM

Guess I should have mentioned it's 1/2 cup bread crumbs per pound of ground beef.

Here's a link to Dixie's video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ptx6MKzaB-8
Posted by: wgiles

Re: Drying Ground Beef - 06/25/18 09:16 AM

It sounds interesting and I will try it. I have always rinsed my cooked ground beef with boiling water to help remove the fat, before dehydrating. I would imagine that the bread crumbs will hold the fat and rinsing may not help. I normally keep my dehydrated meat in the freezer until I need it. I wonder if adding a bit of cure to the raw meat would matter.

Re: Drying Ground Beef - 06/25/18 03:25 PM

I guess the bread crumbs help the dried meat re-absorb water. I also rinse the meat after browning. The video is worth a look.