Meals for Alaska hike

Posted by: willie1280

Meals for Alaska hike - 06/13/18 03:07 PM

Ill be hiking Lake Clark National Park in Alaska late August and i'm trying to plan out my meals. Ill be out there from Sat-Fri and i'm trying to get some variety so i don't go through food boredom and not want to eat.

Given it's bear country, where do you draw the line of which foods are too odoriferous? I was thinking of packing some tuna in the soft pouches like i do when i hike locally, but i'm worried that'll be an attractant. Was also worried about Jerky. Regardless if i eat this stuff in 1 sitting after opening it, i'll still have the leftover package to hike out for garbage once i return.
Posted by: BZH

Re: Meals for Alaska hike - 06/14/18 01:37 PM

If its food bears can smell it and know it is there. You need to protect your food no matter what. That being said they do seem more interested in salami, fish, and bacon. I still bring it, though I just make sure to protect it (and the trash afterward). I have a friend who prefer to save the tuna packets for the end of the trip and even without bears there is something to be said for not walking around with smelly, rotting fish packets.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Meals for Alaska hike - 06/14/18 03:40 PM

To save considerable weight, you may want to dehydrate the contents of the tuna packet (although it will stink up your house while it's drying!) and chicken packets. Dehydrating section of "Sarbar's" Trail Cooking site.
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: Meals for Alaska hike - 06/17/18 03:58 PM

Rather than dehydrating tuna and chicken packets, why not dry the canned versions? In general, they are cheaper. Also, there is more variety. Canned shrimp may look like maggots when dry, but I have had good luck with it. Consider dehydrating canned turkey, too. Package each in mylar snack bags to reduce chances of small punctures allowing food to stink u0p your pack/food bag.