powerdered eggs

Posted by: toddfw2003

powerdered eggs - 03/26/18 06:56 PM

M going to be living off grid this summer in the Satooths, Id. I wont have a fridge so I will have to only eat fresh fruits and veggies, canned foods and powdered foods. Has anyone tried any powerdered eggs?
Posted by: Glenn Roberts

Re: powerdered eggs - 03/26/18 07:38 PM

Once, in the 1970s. In the Air Force. Never felt the need to repeat the taste test. Made me long for the SOS they served in the mess hall.

They may have improved since then. They certainly couldn’t have gotten worse.
Posted by: aimless

Re: powerdered eggs - 03/26/18 08:04 PM

It depends on what you want from them. Powdered eggs have more application as an ingredient in baked goods than on their own as a substitute for breakfast eggs. Their consistency when cooked as 'scrambled eggs' is pretty dense and their flavor is not the same as fresh eggs. They are edible and nutritious, but a definite step down from fresh.
Posted by: Bill Kennedy

Re: powerdered eggs - 03/26/18 10:50 PM

These look like they might be good. I haven't tried them, though.
The two reviews were good. Kind of expensive.

https://www.packitgourmet.com/EggMix.html
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: powerdered eggs - 03/28/18 07:03 PM

If you are not packing in your food (as in driving there), raw eggs in their unbroken, uncracked shells can keep for weeks. If you can get them straight from the farm, they may have the best chance to keep. Not all countries refrigerate eggs.

*I* happen to like Mountain House freeze-dried scrambled eggs, including the ones with peppers, etc., resembling a Denver omelette. I have been known to carry a portion in a cleaned chip bag, adding some instant potatoes, and keeping a catsup packet on the side.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: powerdered eggs - 03/28/18 07:48 PM

Not being very fond of eggs, I don't miss them. However, I've had lots of success with other Packit Gourmet foods, so IMHO they might be worth a try.

CamperMom is right about the raw eggs, although they are kind of heavy, especially since a rigid structure is needed to keep the shelf from cracking. When I was a kid and my family horse-packed, the eggs were kept in the oats we took for the horses.
Posted by: haan9953

Re: powerdered eggs - 04/20/20 07:17 AM

You can now get REALLY GOOD powdered eggs — or actually, they are crystallized eggs. ... It's a crystallized egg and is amazing! The eggs come in powdered form, you just add water, and the shelf life is very long. And they taste and cook just like real eggs.