looking for the best backpacking frying pan

Posted by: ratbastard

looking for the best backpacking frying pan - 01/11/15 03:45 PM

So I am looking at going to two locations this year that tend to have thumbnail sized blueberries by the side of the trail, so I decided I have no choice but to bring pancake mix and a frying pan on some of these trips and I need help picking a winner.

I'm 35 and a professional Ironworker so weight is not a huge concern for me and I am looking for the best all around pan rather than the lightest. I'm looking for something in an 8" size that I can use with my MSR Pocket Rocket, and I would strongly prefer non stick.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: looking for the best backpacking frying pan - 01/11/15 04:29 PM

You want anodized aluminum, which conducts heat far more evenly than either titanium or stainless steel.

I bought mine from Antigravity Gear, which at least then (several years ago) had a lot of backpacking frying pans that were not part of cook sets.

You also need a stove with adjustable heat, including simmer.

My problem is that I've usually filled up with blueberries long before I can even contemplate using them in cooking! In other words, I eat as fast as I can pick! laugh

Also, watch out for blueberries at the edge of the trail growing low down, within reach of dogs doing you know what! I prefer to get off the trail to do my picking.

Re: looking for the best backpacking frying pan - 01/12/15 08:40 AM

I guess my choice would be either the REI 8" or the GSI Pinnacle Frying pan, and I think REI wins by virtue of being lighter, coming with a dividend and REI's Guarantee.
Posted by: AdventureMyk

Re: looking for the best backpacking frying pan - 01/12/15 09:00 AM

I can't speak for the REI one as I'm also looking for a backpacking pan but the finish on GSI's Pinnicale line is fantastic! I use the dualist and soloist and frankly even if something gets burned you turn it upside down, tap it once or twice, the item falls out, then you simply wipe it with a damp paper towel. Ten seconds later it's dry. 4 years and countless dozens of uses later they still perform like new. I even cook things on my desk when I'm on the computer with them (though I'm probably needing to start buying the fuel in bulk because of it).

I'll take a look at the REI one since we finally have a store. I wonder if the finish is anything close?
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: looking for the best backpacking frying pan - 01/12/15 09:47 AM

And, another tip I heard about recently is seasoning your pots and pans to help them stay clean and last longer.
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: looking for the best backpacking frying pan - 01/12/15 01:41 PM

If weight is truly not an issue, consider one of those green ceramic coated frying pans. "Organic Greenie" is one brand. I have a double-sided flip one that has been great for home cooking of anything from pancakes to grilled cheese. Even burned-on cheese that oozes from the grilled cheese basically wipes off. Then, you'd have a great pan for home or camping. I don't know that I'd backpack with one, myself, but certainly I'd take it car camping.

Re: looking for the best backpacking frying pan - 01/12/15 03:06 PM

CM, that's what I like about the GSI pinnacle series. Doesn't matter what you cook, burn, etc. in the thing it simply takes a tap or two for the gunk to fall out and a quick wipe with the cloth to clean it. I need to swing by REI today and I think they have both. smile

Re: looking for the best backpacking frying pan - 02/23/15 07:10 PM

Went with the REI pan because dividend, and picked up a pair of snow peak plates that nest almost perfectly in the pan.

Re: looking for the best backpacking frying pan - 02/23/15 08:23 PM

Sweet! What size pan did you end up with?

Anyone use the egg-carriers (holds 6 egs in a plastic case) and if so do you need to freeze them first or something? Thinking breakfast and eggs in the morning and dehydrated eggs are icky. lol

Re: looking for the best backpacking frying pan - 02/23/15 09:45 PM

8", the egg carriers work just fine for a few days, I normally however only use them for overnighters. They also have 2 and 12 egg carriers.
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: looking for the best backpacking frying pan - 02/24/15 10:05 AM

Originally Posted By AdventureMyk
Sweet! What size pan did you end up with?

Anyone use the egg-carriers (holds 6 egs in a plastic case) and if so do you need to freeze them first or something? Thinking breakfast and eggs in the morning and dehydrated eggs are icky. lol

I'm just going to leave this here and slink away.

Re: looking for the best backpacking frying pan - 02/24/15 05:16 PM

No slinking necessary. I'm the kind that will usually ask a question when I generally have no idea the answer. smile

(Yes, most of the time I google the heck out of things before I ask but that's not always something that works well on a specific topic like when camping).

Thanks for the find! smile
Posted by: Matt Keenan

Re: looking for the best backpacking frying pan - 03/01/15 11:02 PM

Pie pans make good frying pans you just have to get creative on how to handle them. Egg carriers are generally for hardboiled eggs. Light and Cheap is hard to beat
Cheers
Matt
Posted by: Southcove

Re: looking for the best backpacking frying pan - 03/09/15 10:47 AM

If you are going out in wintry conditions,you can break the eggs into a plastic bag (along with add ins if you like them) and either scramble in camp or boil in bag style. We have used this both frozen and unfrozen bags.
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: looking for the best backpacking frying pan - 03/29/15 05:17 PM

10-4 as to pie pans making good frying pans. Just keep them moving and hold above the flame if it can't be turned down. Another trick is to dribble a small amount of water into a burning alcohol stove if it has an open top. One has to be very careful and only a little water will make the flame burn cooler (water has to be boiled off) while too much may extinguish the flame or float burning alcohol over the stove's top. Exercise extreme caution and do this at your own risk.

My successful experiment this morning was to line a frying pan with a round piece of parchment paper. Hubby REALLY likes his fresh fried eggs in the morning and we are about to embark on a fly-camp vacation. Space and weight considerations are in the forefront of planning, although not to the extremes of backpacking. One of our sons gave me a Teflon-coated titanium fry pan one Christmas. Of course, it doesn't conduct heat well and everything sticks like a son of a (gun). If I were to choose, I would avoid Teflon-coated pans. After burning a test egg, I tried cutting a piece of parchment paper to line the pan and tried again. I had to keep the pan moving and ended up pouring in some water and covering the pan to steam the top a bit and distribute the heat. After the eggs set up, I poured off the extra water and was able to flip the eggs. No mess in the pan and two over-easy eggs. Success! Pancakes would be a little trickier, but probably very do-able.

Re: looking for the best backpacking frying pan - 03/30/15 01:13 AM

Used my REI dividend to pick up the 8" non-stick backpacking frying pan two days ago. Two days worth of experimental cooking on the gas stove and I have to say I'm impressed!

The first experiment was some sausage patties and to keep things consistent I used my cast-iron skillet on the burner next to it as a reference. The REI one heated up faster and stayed even with no hot-spots. The cast iron, as seasoned as it is, still tended to snag the sausages a little when it was time to flip them where the REI pan didn't. Frankly, if there is any downside it's that the non-stick works a little too well. Simply trying to tilt them to let a little grease drain was an unusual challenge. <grin>

I waited until they were cooled down (grease solidified) to see how hard it would be to clean. A light rinse in hot water (and by rinse I mean two passes under the water totalling about 5 seconds) and frankly there wasn't a trace they had been used! A single wipe of a paper towel and the whole pan was dry and ready to go again.

Repeated with a hamburger patty, a piece of chicken breast, etc. All of them so far just as easy. I ran out of things to cook on it but plan to try my MSR Micro Rocket rig (I have the little metal 3-way support that locks on the bottom of the fuel canister so that shouldn't be an issue) this evening. Maybe the'll have a nice special on fish? smile

Verdict: Not the lightest but not heavy. A lot of the titanium and ultra-light aluminum cookware users frequently gripe about hot spots, cold spots, burned spots, hard to clean, etc. If it's a few ounces or even a pound I'd rather have consistently edible food than toss out what didn't cook well. You can also slip packets of things like the Korr rice and pasta under the handle when you stuff it in your backpack to make the most of the space.

A lot of reviews had people mentioning they ended up going back and buying the larger pans to use at home and that even years later the finish is as good as new. If that's the case, you can count my number among them if she's still this smooth at the end of summer. smile

http://www.rei.com/product/765753/rei-campware-nonstick-frypan-8
Posted by: haan9953

Re: looking for the best backpacking frying pan - 04/20/20 07:35 AM

Try the Alpine Fry-Bake Set.