Precooked bacon?

Posted by: Mr. Jowee

Precooked bacon? - 12/20/14 11:39 PM

I've never tried it before. Looks to be pretty calorie dense (130 calories per ounce), mostly from fat. Nutritional info can be found here: https://mobile.fatsecret.com/calories-nutrition/oscar-mayer/fully-cooked-bacon?showFacts=True .

Anyone tried this stuff?
Posted by: bluefish

Re: Precooked bacon? - 12/21/14 05:41 AM

The Oberto company makes bacon jerky that is very near to tasting like the real thing. I found out about it from AT thru hikers. It's become a staple in our packs.
Posted by: aimless

Re: Precooked bacon? - 12/21/14 02:39 PM

I've used precooked bacon as part of my backcountry meals at least a dozen times over the past 5 years. It works for me. Just realize it will add a fair amount of salt to whatever you put it in.
Posted by: dkramalc

Re: Precooked bacon? - 12/22/14 01:53 AM

+1 for the Oberto bacon jerky. I bought a pack from Amazon recently, opened it at home one evening just before bedtime "just to test one little bit" and ended up scarfing the entire package. blush It was amazing. And the texture was just how I like my bacon done - cooked but not too dry and crunchy.

Now I have two more packages, and have pledged not to open them until I am on a backpacking trip with them. You are all my witnesses.
Posted by: ratbastard

Re: Precooked bacon? - 01/14/15 05:50 PM

Boars head precooked Bacon is a bit pricier than its competition but it come in two separate plastic bags, which is nice for portioning.
Posted by: PaHiker

Re: Precooked bacon? - 02/12/15 10:25 AM

I tried it once, limp, if you like your bacon that way. I have also made my own bacon at home (fully cooked) and taken it along with no problems. If you're adding it into a recipe Bacos is probably cheaper, and tastes the same.

Bacon jerky is just old-fashioned bacon, before the industries got hold of it and started selling it in vacuum packages. You can find fully smoked bacon in some larger grocery stores, or in a butcher shop. They are salted and fully smoked, just like jerky.
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: Precooked bacon? - 02/12/15 10:40 AM

I took some on an overnight a couple weeks ago. That and the Snickers were the best things I had. Well, and maybe the cheddar crackers.

Re: Precooked bacon? - 02/12/15 11:21 AM

Oh, God, Snickers and cheddar crackers, close to heaven on the trail. Next month we're backpacking in Arizona, bummer that Snickers is off the menu. Tried it last year and it was a melted mess.
Posted by: 4evrplan

Re: Precooked bacon? - 02/12/15 07:07 PM

I wonder how long they'd keep if you froze them before you left and wrapped them up in something like clothes and/or bedding.

Re: Precooked bacon? - 02/12/15 09:29 PM

Sadly, I don't have that option. Going from the airport to Picacho Peak for a hike, overnight there, then straight to the GC. Only nights not outside will be in a B&B, no fridge.

Re: Precooked bacon? - 02/13/15 09:33 AM

In my experience, bacon jerky has a lower moisture content and stands up to heat far, far better than bacon prepared otherwise. I've added it to meals and rehydrated . Works well. I also trust it to have a longer shelf life; that is if you keep out of it.... grin

Re: Precooked bacon? - 02/13/15 11:26 AM

If you're going to add it to food, then Bacos should work just as well, and is a lot cheaper than the bacon jerky I've seen. My assumption was heating it up and eating it as-is.
Posted by: GrumpyGord

Re: Precooked bacon? - 02/13/15 11:54 AM

I used bacos one time and when I got home I wrote on the recipe "do not use bacos". You could just use shredded tree bark available right on site.
YMMV

Re: Precooked bacon? - 02/13/15 03:01 PM

Considering that I have no qualms eating in a restaurant and paying what would be considered a high price for food, I certainly don't count my pennies too closely for what I put in my bear can or food bag. Food on the trail is special for my wife and I. We backpack often, but don't live on trail. We really enjoy the food we carry and where we're eating it. The Oberto Jerky is relatively expensive, but worth it, to us. Bacos, on the other hand, AIN'T.
Posted by: ndsol

Re: Precooked bacon? - 02/14/15 12:02 PM

I have been eating Hormel pre-cooked bacon for years in the backcountry. I do like it better than the Oscar Mayer version.

It is one of the pleasures that I will gladly eat on the trail, but have to hold myself back from eating at home. I do like it better than jerky as it is easier to eat and doesn't require water that I usually want after eating jerky. On a wheat thin (or another cracker) and you have hors d'oeuvres. laugh