Pre-soak beans for short trip?

Posted by: noodle

Pre-soak beans for short trip? - 08/28/13 07:37 PM

I'm headed out on a short trip -- only 3 days. I was thinking about pre-soaking some beans to take with me. Kidney beans and chick peas, to be exact.

Has anyone done this before? Would they remain unspoiled by day 3?

Just thinking this would be more healthy than canned, and then I also don't have to cart empty cans back to civilization (and garbage disposal)...
Posted by: DTape

Re: Pre-soak beans for short trip? - 08/28/13 07:59 PM

I don't know the answer to your specific question. Depending on the temp, they might sprout by day 3. There are other options however.

1. Canned beans
2. dehydrated (pre-cooked) beans
3. lentils
4. begin soaking the night before you need them
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Pre-soak beans for short trip? - 08/28/13 11:54 PM

I wouldn't want to carry all that water, and even after pre-soaking, beans take a long time (as in hours) to cook unless you have a pressure cooker.

My preference is to cook the beans at home and dehydrate. On the trail they'll reconstitute just fine with boiling water and sitting in a cozy 15-20 minutes. Lots less fuss and bother, lots less weight to carry! You can do this with canned beans or with your very own baked bean recipe.
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: Pre-soak beans for short trip? - 08/29/13 12:18 PM

I'm with Oregon Mouse: Cook beans at home and dehydrate for easy meals on the trail. Unless you change soaking water, your 3-day soaked beans may not only sprout, but start to ferment... Plus, they would be heavy, potentially messy/leaky, and take too long to cook requiring a lot of fuel.

CM
Posted by: finallyME

Re: Pre-soak beans for short trip? - 08/29/13 12:23 PM

I have never dehydrated beans before. I need to try that!

Re: Pre-soak beans for short trip? - 08/30/13 09:54 AM

You will not believe how easily the cooked and dehydrated beans rehydrate.
Posted by: lori

Re: Pre-soak beans for short trip? - 08/30/13 10:43 AM

As does pasta and rice... and unlike Minute Rice, real rice has flavor...

I'm all in favor of real food.

Re: Pre-soak beans for short trip? - 08/31/13 02:26 PM

Agree!