How do you keep your spices?

Posted by: mira.mikes

How do you keep your spices? - 08/19/13 07:40 PM

Hi,
I would like to find better way to keep my spices on the trail.
This is what I used till now:
http://www.rei.com/product/815538/gsi-outdoors-spice-missile
pros - compact
cons - heavy and small, sometimes opened by itself.

This what I just finished for myself, but not very happy with it:
http://www.instructables.com/id/Ultra-Li...-Lable-Packets/
pros - UL, compact
cons - not heavy duty, difficult to fill, difficult open/close with frozen fingers.

Currently I am thinking to keep spices just in small Ziploc bags or just in original package.

Suggestions?

mira
Posted by: wandering_daisy

Re: How do you keep your spices? - 08/19/13 08:34 PM

You can buy "Tajin" Mexican spice (at Walmart) in very small bottles. I keep these bottles and then fill them with other spices. I also buy the McCormik pre-packaged spice sets for various meals(they are expensive). In the old days, we used old film canisters. I wonder what nasty toxins we got from that! I do not like zip-lock snack bags - they tend to not work after a few pours out of them. REI has some very small plastic bottles, but they are heavy. For spices that I use a lot, I buy the small (about 1 inch high) bottles and re-use these for other spices too. I like the "Brandy Pork" McCormik seasoning. I just keep it in the original package (slice open the top) and then roll it up and put a rubber band around it. Then I put that in a zip lock snack bag (along with my two small bottles of Tajin). If I know that I always want a specific spice in a meal, I just add it to the bag with the meal. For parmesan cheese, I use the small squarish Rubbermaid plastic containers. For olive oil, I have 4 oz and 8 oz bottles that I bought at REI.

Re: How do you keep your spices? - 08/19/13 09:09 PM

Originally Posted By wandering_daisy
In the old days, we used old film canisters. I wonder what nasty toxins we got from that!

laugh I used them too and actually I was pretty happy with them! But same concerns about toxins frown

I would like to have something like this just maybe transparent.

Still searching some handy, light, transparent bottles with rather wide opening.
I live in Europe and didn't see "Tajin" here.

I usually have:
* olive oil ... I have nice little bottle for it.
* salt
* pepper
* chilli
* dried garlic
* parmesan
* thinking to add cumin
* dried vegetable ... ziploc is quite fine for it

I will check REI

mira
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: How do you keep your spices? - 08/20/13 12:52 AM

Since I fly so much on United, I get upgraded a lot. And the little salt and pepper shakers they give you in business class work really well...

expensive though. Cost hundreds of thousands of miles on airplanes...
Posted by: finallyME

Re: How do you keep your spices? - 08/20/13 10:54 AM

My meals are usually in individual ziplock bags. I just put the spices in with the dry food. That way I don't have to carry a spice container.

Re: How do you keep your spices? - 08/20/13 01:00 PM

Originally Posted By balzaccom
Since I fly so much on United, I get upgraded a lot. And the little salt and pepper shakers they give you in business class work really well...

frown I don't fly on business class wink

Re: How do you keep your spices? - 08/20/13 01:04 PM

Originally Posted By finallyME
My meals are usually in individual ziplock bags. I just put the spices in with the dry food. That way I don't have to carry a spice container.

Yes that's definitely way to go, but I really like cooking on the way.
Create meal to my current mood wink
Posted by: Hawke

Re: How do you keep your spices? - 08/20/13 01:18 PM

Not sure if it's any lighter, but I love this idea.

Tic Tac Spice Containers
Posted by: squark

Re: How do you keep your spices? - 08/20/13 02:29 PM

I have some of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004X7VZYQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

haven't used them for spices (just sunscreen, so far), but seems like they could work.

Re: How do you keep your spices? - 08/20/13 04:47 PM

Originally Posted By Hawke
Not sure if it's any lighter, but I love this idea.

Tic Tac Spice Containers

Aren't they bit fragile?

Re: How do you keep your spices? - 08/20/13 04:49 PM

Originally Posted By squark
I have some of these:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004X7VZYQ/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i03?ie=UTF8&psc=1

haven't used them for spices (just sunscreen, so far), but seems like they could work.

Hmm this is closest to my wish ... are the lids holding well enough?
Posted by: squark

Re: How do you keep your spices? - 08/27/13 05:18 PM

No trouble with the sunscreen. I filled one with cayenne and put it in my daily-use backpack a few days ago. Lid hasn't popped open or leaked yet, though it's only traveled a few miles so far.

Originally Posted By mira.mikes
Originally Posted By squark
I have some of these:

Hmm this is closest to my wish ... are the lids holding well enough?
Posted by: LHG12

Re: How do you keep your spices? - 09/18/13 12:53 PM

I like to make a universal spice blend that I keep in an old spice shaker. I just add what I like; salt, garlic, onion powder, paprika, black pepper, oregano and thyme. This goes with just about anything. If you like things a bit spicier add some crushed red or ceyenne pepper. I also like to use minute rice then add spices and dry chicken or beef bullion to it. Measure out a cup and spice it up to your taste, all you have to do is add water. Spices will keep for about a year, after that they lose their potencey.