Updated trail bars

Posted by: skcreidc

Updated trail bars - 04/15/13 11:11 AM

My version of Laura bars has been modified. And I have tried various attempts to use fruit other than dates to hold stuff together; not very successful yet with apricots or anything else I have tried. What I think is the most successful combo for a non-date flavored bar are the blueberry bars. So now my ratio of cashew nuts to dates is 1cup to 1cup, and for the blueberry I add 1/2cup of dried blueberries. Of course, I am known to be able to eat anything, but my taste buds are reasonably discerning and with these I only taste blueberry up front. This ratio 1/1/0.5 only seems to work with the blueberries. I'm still working on the other fruits and will be testing some out in Joshua tree this coming weekend.

As for trail mix, well, I've eaten a LOT of different kinds of trail mix. I'm trying to come up with more compact snack foods that pack a lot of calories, although trail mix does fit into spots that other things may not so easily fit due to its pliable shape.
Posted by: sarbar

Re: Updated trail bars - 04/17/13 10:59 AM

Do you like raisins? They are a good binder as well - and sub in for dates.

Re: Updated trail bars - 04/24/13 12:43 PM

Raisins are an excellent idea, sarbar! I'll have to try those out. I had a new captured audience at Joshua Tree this weekend to test out my bars on. The blueberry bars went over well; the rest? Well, they are still a work in progress.

Re: Updated trail bars - 05/01/13 07:09 PM

Raisins and peanuts in a 1 to 1 volume ratio work well (I think anyway, after all it IS a matter of taste). I need to try it with cashews next.