Salsa!

Posted by: ETSU Pride

Salsa! - 10/21/12 02:18 PM

Anyone ever tried this? From the website:
Quote:
This is a BYOBread meal. We recommend tortilla chips or tortillas

Tip: You can toast your tortillas and make your own chips on the trail.

This sounds like an awesome idea and have a chicken burrito and salsa!
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: Salsa! - 10/21/12 03:44 PM

A hiking friend was stationed in Iraq and mentioned that he missed ramen, and burritos. I dehydrated some salsa and chili, then packed thme up with non-refrigerated tortillas, ramen, and Fritos canned jalapeno cheese. He was quite pleased with the results.

CM
Posted by: sarbar

Re: Salsa! - 10/22/12 12:11 PM

It would be pretty easy to make. You can get all the ingredients easily enough - without needing to dry them :_ Buy True Lime powder, air dried tomatoes, dried onions and Jalapeņos (they are sold in the spice section!)

I make a salsa often, this is my recipe:
http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/diy-salsa-mix
Posted by: ETSU Pride

Re: Salsa! - 10/22/12 01:12 PM

Originally Posted By sarbar
It would be pretty easy to make. You can get all the ingredients easily enough - without needing to dry them :_ Buy True Lime powder, air dried tomatoes, dried onions and Jalapeņos (they are sold in the spice section!)

I make a salsa often, this is my recipe:
http://www.trailcooking.com/recipes/diy-salsa-mix

Thanks for sharing!
Posted by: Samoset

Re: Salsa! - 10/22/12 04:54 PM

You could also pack 1-2 small tomatos,1 jalapano,1 avacodo, A few sprigs of cilantro and a pinch of all the following garlic powder,onion powder, salt and pepper. If you want to go all out! Add 1 fresh lime. If not a lemon or lime juice packet should do the trick.

To offset the weight carried of the non-dehydrated food. Carry a little less water!
Posted by: jbylake

Re: Salsa! - 10/23/12 10:47 PM

Wow, you folks that do light weight backpacking and still are able to do the gourmet cooking, amaze me.

For me, salsa, and hot sauce (in the little packs that family and friends save for me from Taco Bell, are used to make the freeze dried Mountain House meals edible.

Ah, all this knowledge is wasted on me anyway, If I can't heat it up out of a can, microwave it, or rehydrate it when backpacking/camping, I couldn't cook it anyway. I just like to read these food forums, just to salivate, and see how the "other half" lives. grin

J.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Salsa! - 10/23/12 11:39 PM

The "gourmet cooking" is all done at home and then dehydrated. On the trail, only boiling water is required. A lot can also be done with supermarket ingredients or with freeze-dried ingredients ordered in bulk. Check out Sarbar's website, trailcooking.com
Posted by: sarbar

Re: Salsa! - 10/24/12 04:28 PM

Hehheh.....you can live through us, we don't mind laugh