Best ways to bring fruit along?

Posted by: DieselTwitch

Best ways to bring fruit along? - 08/24/12 11:05 AM

Im trying to find the best way to bring fruit (RAW) along on the trail, I mostly enjoy Strawberries, Bananas, Apples..... I just trying to keep them from going bad on multi day trips
Posted by: balzaccom

Re: Best ways to bring fruit along? - 08/24/12 11:56 AM

Apples will last a bit longer, but we don't carry much fresh fruit past the first day--mainly because of the weight.

On the other hand, we do take fresh fruit on our day hikes, and we frequently put apricots or plums into an egg carton to protect them in our pack. Works great.

Not so good for bananas. crazy
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: Best ways to bring fruit along? - 08/24/12 06:29 PM

I don't carry fresh food except for the first day: weight and spoilage.

You might have success chilling berries in a lightweight container and carying them buried in your pack, using them the first or second day, bananas eat day one to two orm maybe, three. Apples should hold up longer.

If you are more concerned about the enzymes in fresh fruit, consider making leathers, dried at 90-100 F. I think temps in that range will allow enzymes to survive.

CM
Posted by: Samoset

Re: Best ways to bring fruit along? - 08/24/12 08:22 PM

I've been found three days in munching on avacodos,apples bananas and other fresh fruit and veggies. I usually pack them in the top of my pack and just take care not to throw my pack down the mountain!

I lighten everything else in my pack because I live to eat not eat to live and rarely sacrifice when it comes to my food bag wink

If you really want to impress your fishing buddies on the fourth day of hiking and trout fishing. Whip out some fresh tomatoes, avacodos, limes , and cilantro and make some fish tacos.

Dinners usually followed by the following comments.

How did you get that stuff in here. Orjust when I thought I couldn't eat another trout.

The truth is if bought fresh most fruits and veggie will keep quite a while on the trail. I mean they do grow outside!
Posted by: Cranman

Re: Best ways to bring fruit along? - 08/28/12 03:23 PM

I've put some fruit in gladware containers, they protect the fruit well in transport and can be used for bowls at mealtime.
Posted by: Backpackhavn

Re: Best ways to bring fruit along? - 12/26/12 04:45 PM

Blue berries and grapes can be frozen and that will help them to last a little longer. The frozen berries and grapes will also help to keep other fruit cool.
Posted by: llamero

Re: Best ways to bring fruit along? - 12/26/12 10:56 PM

I find that keeping berries dry and protected in a plastic container works best for me. They need a bit of air circulation and protection from heat. Bananas don't last very long anywhere, even at home.
Posted by: DTape

Re: Best ways to bring fruit along? - 12/27/12 05:04 AM

Except for the weight penalty, citrus fruits travel the best IMO followed by apples, pears and plums. Other fruits become increasingly succeptible to damage. A friend of mine has a plastic container made just for bananas. We pick on him for it, especially after he told us of the difficulty he had finding a banana with just the right "curve" to fit the container. Other suggestions have been made for protecting fruit like gladware and then use it as your bowl. Another protector which is already carried is ones cook pot. .
Posted by: Robb

Re: Best ways to bring fruit along? - 02/02/13 03:36 PM

Berries are definitely the way to go. They're very tasty, can be frozen ahead of time and even more importantly, they don't weigh much, especially compared to something like an apple.
Posted by: Big-D

Re: Best ways to bring fruit along? - 02/18/13 09:00 PM

Originally Posted By Samoset
I've been found three days in munching on avacodos,apples bananas and other fresh fruit and veggies. I usually pack them in the top of my pack and just take care not to throw my pack down the mountain!

I lighten everything else in my pack because I live to eat not eat to live and rarely sacrifice when it comes to my food bag wink

If you really want to impress your fishing buddies on the fourth day of hiking and trout fishing. Whip out some fresh tomatoes, avacodos, limes , and cilantro and make some fish tacos.

Dinners usually followed by the following comments.

How did you get that stuff in here. Orjust when I thought I couldn't eat another trout.

The truth is if bought fresh most fruits and veggie will keep quite a while on the trail. I mean they do grow outside!

you are definitely invited for my next fishing trip, as long as you bring enough to share!
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Best ways to bring fruit along? - 02/22/13 05:30 PM

You carry it in and I'll eat it!
lol