GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker?

Posted by: Steadman

GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker? - 08/22/12 09:55 PM

Anybody try this widget: http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___17467
????

I can live w/o my coffee, but I'm going to be traveling with those who can't. I want to be able to just boil water, and have everyone make what they want, rather than dedicating a pot to morning coffee.

Steadman
Posted by: lori

Re: GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker? - 08/23/12 01:43 AM

A bunch of Via packets or the instant coffee from Trader Joes does it fine for me. Both much better than the Tasters choice instant or the (shudder) Folgers coffee bags.
Posted by: Weston79

Re: GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker? - 08/23/12 08:52 AM

I second the Starbucks Via coffee. It's not cheap, but it's small and light. You also don't have to pack any coffee grounds in or out!! It also tastes great.

I just bought enough for a week long trip for two, 48 cups (we like our coffee), and it fit into a small ziploc freezer bag.
Posted by: Cranman

Re: GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker? - 08/28/12 03:27 PM

One note on the Starbucks Via...omg it's sooo strong! I am a coffee drinker/snob and love a good cup, but there's no way I can drink via full strength. I mix it 1/2 and 1/2 with either cocoa or cappucinno mix. On the flip side, even though it's expensive, for me I get 2 cups from each packet!
Posted by: kenp

Re: GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker? - 09/06/12 06:29 PM

I have one and used it up until Starbucks came out with the Via. The Via is decent and so much easier to deal with that I haven't used the drip device since.

It did work well though, when in use. My only complaint was that in cold weather by the time you had a full cup of coffee it tended to have cooled down significantly and you needed to heat it up again. That was another reason to move to the via that I could just toss in the mug and put the cap on before it cooled off.
Posted by: Bass

Re: GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker? - 09/18/12 09:32 AM

For fresh brewed coffee I package coffee grounds in a tea bag which you can find in the bulk loose tea sites Use the large bags as if you like you coffee stronger you need more grounds. Experiment with how strong you like the coffee. Coffee steeps very quickly. Also I believe many of the coffee companies offer the single serving bags also for those who do not want to make their own bags. Personaly I dislike freeze dried coffee. You can also get or make decaf coffee to use.
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker? - 10/13/12 07:11 PM

When your stash of tea bags runs out, try checking the party section of your local "dollar store" for organza bags. I found a package of 5/$1.00 in the wedding favor section. Washed before use, one works great for a "coffee bag," using one's coffee of choice. They don't hold water for long, so dump the grounds, rinse and let it dry as you hike.

At 5/$1.00, they are cheap enough to have one for coffee and another for tea or a bag for each member of a group.

CamperMom
Posted by: billstephenson

Re: GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker? - 10/16/12 12:32 PM

Originally Posted By lori
A bunch of Via packets or the instant coffee from Trader Joes does it fine for me. Both much better than the Tasters choice instant or the (shudder) Folgers coffee bags.

I think the Taster's Choice "French Roast" is pretty good. I liked it better than the Via Columbian I tried. In fact, I didn't like the Via at all, and at over 5 times the price of Taster's Choice I'll never buy Via again.

I don't believe for a second that Starbucks is manufacturing their own instant coffee anyway. I highly suspect that Via is made for Starbucks by Nestle', and all they really do is add some very burnt bean dust to it.

Neither of them is as good as fresh ground beans, and that drip maker does look interesting. The biggest problem with those that I've tested is that they can be very slow. When it's 30º or less in the morning you end up waiting for a long time to get a cold cup of coffee.

From the reviews it looks like a finer grind might work best, or putting the filter into your cup letting the grounds steep a bit and then lifting it up and letting it drain.

$10 bucks seems a bit steep though. There's just not enough to it to justify that unless that filter is made out of some kind of super duper NASA coffee filtering material, or it has an authentic copy of a "Bear Grylss" signature on it.
Posted by: jbylake

Re: GSI Outdoors Ultralight Java Drip Coffee Maker? - 11/17/12 05:14 PM

Cranman, if the Via is too strong, what blend are you drinking?
Try the Blonde, very mild blend. They call their (medium roast) "Verona", then next comes bold/dark roast/(they vary beans from time to time)it's usually Italian Roast, or an African blend. Again, if you like a mild roast, and like Starbucks, try the 'blonde'.

J.