cooking fish with a stove

Posted by: finallyME

cooking fish with a stove - 07/11/12 02:06 PM

Normally when I cook fish in the backcountry, I bring tin foil and bake them in the fire. Sometimes I stick them on a stick and cook them. But, with the fire bans, I am wondering what other options I have to cook fish with only a gas stove. I know I can fry them in a pan, but I don't like carrying a pan.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: cooking fish with a stove - 07/11/12 03:06 PM

You can poach or steam them in your cooking pot, assuming you like poached or steamed fish. (I don't, but that's me....)
Posted by: PDA

Re: cooking fish with a stove - 07/12/12 05:27 PM

Poaching is the most obvious answer, and can be "improved" upon by poaching "en papiotte" i.e. enclose the fish fillet with some aromatics in a foil package, then immerse with the seam up to reduce that amount of water getting in to the fish. Or enclose in a ziploc bag for a more secure seal.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: cooking fish with a stove - 07/12/12 07:53 PM

Or you can put several pebbles in the bottom of the pot to raise the fish and foil above the water level--that way the fish is steamed, not poached.
Posted by: lv2fsh

Re: cooking fish with a stove - 07/13/12 09:17 AM

Lay them on foil.Just season them up, drizzle a little olive oil over them and after folding them up, throw them in the pan and cook turning a few times. It will cook in it's own juice and seasoning. I like it better than frying and almost no mess. Steamed or poached fish taste like mush IMO
Posted by: finallyME

Re: cooking fish with a stove - 07/13/12 05:59 PM

Looks like I will have to buy a pan. frown I guess that is better than burning the state down.
Posted by: Elias

Re: cooking fish with a stove - 07/17/12 02:23 PM

You can also cook the fish without pan.
You will need a small iron rod to cook it directly on fire.
Then you will not need to carry the pan.
Posted by: Samoset

Re: cooking fish with a stove - 11/05/12 09:51 PM

Originally Posted By finallyME
Looks like I will have to buy a pan. frown I guess that is better than burning the state down.

Could be worse you could pay to have the fish shipd here from some fish farm in China!

I fish and conserve because wild caught fish is one of our most precious resources. If I was hiking with you I'd be sure to carry a nice skillet just along as you knew where to catch enough fish to fill it!
Posted by: rockchucker22

Re: cooking fish with a stove - 11/05/12 10:08 PM

Sushi! Forget cooking eat trout raw! Little wasabi, soy sauce, yum. My son always eats the eggs out of the trout, especially goldens. But he also likes meal worms, termites, ants, anything he sees Les Stroud eating.