Garage sale dehydrator

Posted by: MrPop

Garage sale dehydrator - 05/21/12 02:49 PM

I'd like to try dehydrating, but do not want to spend the money on a new one until I've decided I will keep at it. If I do, then I'll buy a nice one.

To make sure I don't ensure a bad experience, anything I should look for in particular in any given GS purchase? I hear a temp control is a must and that a timer is a very good thing, but is there anything else I should demand or avoid?
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Garage sale dehydrator - 05/21/12 09:58 PM

You don't need a timer, but you do need thermostat/temp control. And a fan to distribute the warm air evenly. You go by when the food feels dry enough rather than by time--the time in recipes is very approximate. You can always set an alarm clock!

Posted by: Hawke

Re: Garage sale dehydrator - 05/22/12 08:59 AM

Agreed, fan is probably the most important thing, IMHO. Closely followed by a thermostat. I know folks who use one of those plug-in-your-outlet timer thingies, like you use for making your lights go on when you're not home.
Posted by: MrPop

Re: Garage sale dehydrator - 05/22/12 03:20 PM

Thank you for the tips. I'll hit some sales garage sales this weekend and the local thrifts too.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Garage sale dehydrator - 05/22/12 04:19 PM

Probably obvious, but plug it in before buying! wink
Posted by: CamperMom

Re: Garage sale dehydrator - 05/25/12 10:26 AM

As OM says, yes, plug in the used dehydrator before buying it. I haven’t tried it, but have seen suggestions for placing some sort of a rheostat inline with the power cord as a temperature and fan speed control if the dehydrator has none of its own. I burned through 3 or 4 cheap-o models before purchasing an Excalibur via eBay. I love this dehydrator.

A possible substitute dehydrator is a hair dryer blowing into any box or bag, BTW. Been there, done that, on the road.

Regards,

CamperMom
Posted by: lostagain

Re: Garage sale dehydrator - 07/06/12 12:49 PM

I haven't gotten my dehydrator yet, but do appreciate the advice given. smile

As far as it goes though Alton Brown on Good Eats did a DIY jerky maker using A/C filters and a box fan. the recipe is here but he says to dry it this way for 8 - 12 hours. It makes OK jerky, but I think I'll stick to using a commercial dehydrator.