Moisture problems with FD food storage

Posted by: wandering_daisy

Moisture problems with FD food storage - 03/18/12 03:06 PM

I am ready to purchase FD fruits and vegetables for my summer season. I am considering getting the #10 tin cans - one of FD chicken chunks and another of FD fruit. I am concerned with moisture absorbtion once opened. I have had this problem with some smaller containers I have purchased. FD food that starts out crunchy ends of a bit softer and pliable - so it gained moisture. Has anyone frozen bags of FD food and then just taken out what needed? Or should I just buy smaller volumes? I like the idea of saving some $$ by purchasing larger quantities, but it does not make sense if the food becomes less "FD".
Posted by: Kent W

Re: Moisture problems with FD food storage - 03/19/12 09:38 AM

WD would vacume sealing the FD food help? It would at least remove the damp air from the bag. It is a bit more costly as the bags are not cheap. I use mine for all my meals, the bags are very durable to eat out of.
Posted by: GrumpyGord

Re: Moisture problems with FD food storage - 03/19/12 11:46 AM

I have vacuum sealed them in smaller bags and then stored them in the freezer. I have kept FD vegetables like that for a whole season.
Posted by: skcreidc

Re: Moisture problems with FD food storage - 03/19/12 12:18 PM

I will jump on the vacuum then freeze bandwagon. I know a number of people who do this for a variety of reasons. Getting a good vacuum on the package is key to minimizing moisture with freeze-dried foods, although living in a dry environment processing does help. There are many people who process their game the same way (vacuum bag then freeze), and in San Diego places like Fisherman's Processing has made a business out of doing this for the clients of the half-day to multi-day boats. I suppose you could also throw in a food grade desiccant package into each bag before you pull a vacuum and seal each bag of FD stuff.
Posted by: lori

Re: Moisture problems with FD food storage - 03/19/12 01:07 PM

Vac seal in quantities you think you will be able to use all at once, then freeze. Vac dealers use nylon bags that keep contents protected from moisture better than pu bags.
Posted by: Heather-ak

Re: Moisture problems with FD food storage - 03/19/12 03:27 PM

If you don't have a vacuum sealer - freezer bag with the air pulled out with a straw and sealed quickly should work almost has well.
Posted by: OregonMouse

Re: Moisture problems with FD food storage - 03/19/12 04:00 PM

The problem with vacuum sealing is that you end up with a hard brick which takes up quite a bit more room, especially a problem if you're using a bear canister.

The straw, though, is a good idea--reduces bulk without creating a brick. I also remove as much air as possible, store unused amount in plastic bags in the freezer.

Be sure to let anything stored in the freezer come to room temperature before you open it up, or you'll have lots of condensation on the cold food! Having your stove burners or an electric heater going when you open up the food, to dry the air, helps, too. Or pick a hot, dry day.

The little packets of absorbent/dessicant designed for food storage also help. Just be sure to remove them before preparing your meal!

I bought my most recent bulk freeze-dried food from Packit Gourmet, which packages its stuff in mylar bags. You can fold the bag tightly, reseal it with tape and then put it in a large freezer bag (again removing as much air as possible) before storing the unused portion in the freezer.